Powerheads

shookbrad

Has anyone done any studies on powerhead positioning? I have a new 55 gallon tank with a Powersweep 214 on one side sweeping up and down and a Powersweep 228 on the other side also sweeping up and down. I plan on creating a reef tank.
Thanks,
Brad

msd2

Not sure I exactly understand what your question is in reference to. Is your goal water circulation or wave simulation?

wax32

Well, you probably want to make sure you have at least 1000 gph of water movement. I assume you will add a skimmer or sump so that adds a little too, but you might want more PH depending on how strong those are (I have never heard of them).

msd2

well for wave simulation I use a scwd closed system, and for general circulation a pair of constant on seio's. As Wax said the sump return pump can also add some. You will get a lot of variablity in the ppl's views of 'best' turnover rate, but the lowest I have heard is around 10x per hour. I personally prefer around 25x I found it to cause me the least amount of problems but the water is cruizin around at that rate pretty good. When I had a 55 I had good luck at 15x (or 825gph) flow rates. Good luck :)

E

exile415

soem of those moving powerheads work well. duckbills and other ones.