#$%#%- Powerheads!!!

dragracer

Ok.........can someone tell me are there any tricks to keeping your powerhead attached to you glass. This is the second time its happened now. Tank was beautifully sparkling.......clearest its ever been. I go upstares for 10 minutes, I can't see an inch inside the tank......culprit.......same powerhead. -#$-#% Why won't it stay up?

corally

I am having the same problem with my heater, brand new and won't stick. It is driving me freakin crazy! :mad:

wla1610

I've had the same problem before when the glass where the suction cups were was not clean. Any algae etc, will cause it to not stick very long.
Hope that helps any.

froznfinn

I would hate to waste a mag float..besides i'm cheap...try using duck tape to tape the cord
on the outside//oh! never mind..i just use duck tape for just about anything

chipmaker

Make a hanger ouot of acrylic.
I had essentially that same problem last night. A cloudy tank would have been weklcome as compared to close to 4 or 5 gal of fresh saltwater all over the place. I had just setup another 10 gal, it ws running approx 8 hours just fine, cooking my liverock etc, and I went to bed. Head a lot of water flow, got up and check, and the darn powerhead had that tank looking like old faithfull with water all over the place. Luckily this tank ws set up in the hall bath on the vanity, so it was just mopping up water off the vanity top and ceramic tile floor, but still a darn mess.......

usinkit

I have had the same problem. I put my canopy on top of the power cord of the powerheads, so if the suction cups dp fail the powerhead wont full down into the sand. Its working well. My next step is to increase my overflow to a larger one and pipe it up so I have three exit on the return to eliminate the powerheads.

jktenpro

I have had it happen once and since then I just push the powerheads tighter against the glass every 2 or 3 days and change the suction cups every once in awhile. I haven't had a problem since the first time one fell and clouded the tank. Position them where the 2 cups are up top.

wax32

Originally Posted by fishamajig
glue the back of the powerhead to a mag float and use the magnet to keep it to the side.
This is the way to go.

rhomer

I got so sick of my power heads falling down, I just scrapped them and put in a closed loop pump. Later this week I will put in a spray bar (too much flow out of one spot right now). No more power heads. :jumping:
I lost 2 flame angels and a coral beauty to my power heads. Each one of them died the first day on the power head. Power heads are now gone.
Rob

milomlo

I have no powerheads in my tank either. I have the wavemaker thing. I will put one powerhead in to get more flow along the sand and I am going to use the magfloat suggestion for that. That way it can be moved around easy. I am having trouble getting my NEW heater to stick as well. It keeps falling. Driving me nuts too Corally

kjord97

Hmmmm yes it is a common problem with anyone haveing suction cups in the tank. Just replace your suction cups monthly and it is fine. Also you have to remeber not only to scrap the galss where the suction is but also take your finger nail and scrap the inside of the suction cup. I find that there is alot of stuff that grows on the suction cup. Most of my cords are so tight that when the powerheads do fall they dont go far just changes whcih way the water flows. Most of the time I just apply some more pressure to them every days or so. Mine like to fall off when the turn on with my daytime lights.