Powering My Tank

kevin34

Is it safe to use powerstrips to plug all my stuff in my tank into? I only have one outlet behind my tank so I bought 2 powerstrips. I was reading through the warnings and it said do not use to power heaters, sump pumps, or aquariums.

deereman

i use powerstrips for mine.Just be sure to use drip loops on your cords and position it so it wont get water dripping in it. I think youll be fine. hth

kevin34

What about the heaters? Is it still safe to use them? I got 8ft powerstrips so the actual outlets will be well out of reach of the water.

deereman

ive use them for my heaters as well,it is my feeling that the warnings refer to something like small space heaters that would draw a lot more current but that is my opinion.

kevin34

Thanks for the help. I have one more question. Is it safe to have 2 powerstrips coming out of the same set of outlets? Here is a drawing of what I am talking about.

deereman

hmmm, i would think its fine as long as you dont start tripping breakers.really depends what else is on the circuit that the particular outlet is on. Ihave done this with no problems ,im sure some would not recommend it,but sometimes we do what we must.

scsinet

Yes, it's perfectly safe.
The number of things plugged into one outlet is more or less irrelevant as long as you don't overload the circuit. The breaker in your panelboard will trip if the outlet is overloaded.