PPT or Salinity

sawillia

I'm reading and seeing a lot of opinions on refractometers as the way togo to check salinty...
I currently use a hydrometer and on the gauge of the hydrometer there are .020-.026 or so best range??? Now on the outside there are whole numbers on the gauge. I assume they are PPT...
The range that I see more often than not on fish and inverts are in the 1.023-1.026 range. Which isn't anywhere near the 35ppt measurement (or assumption of measurement) on the hydrometer...
If the 35ppt is where I'm assuming it is... there is a large number of HOT (hot meaning HYPER Salt) water changes that I'm going to have to get to raise the Salinty slow enough not to shock anyone...
Am I losing it or do I just need to drop money for a refractometer and forget the hydrometer and all of the decimal ranges I see for live stock...
Ex:
Keep water quality high (SG 1.023 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Sometimes this gets confusing....
:(:notsure:

bang guy

Salinity is measured in PPT and is the amount of salt in the water.
Specific Gravity is a measure of the density of the water.
If you take a gallon of saltwater and heat it up it will become less dense (S.G. will fall) but Salinity will remain constant (PPT stable).
The Salinity scale on a hydrometer is only accurate at one temperature (usually 68F) so you need a lookup table to find Salinity given the S.G. reading from the hydrometer, and you need to know the temperature of the water.
A refractometer measures salinity directly and you need no conversion or other measurements.
35ppt is an adequate Salinity.
Before you alter your salinity use a reference chart and find your actual salinity.
If it is low then just start using saltwater for topoff until it's at least 35ppt.
Bang

sawillia

This might be a little beneath you...
There are several companies looking for AD and exchange 2002 folks...
No user interface... just setup deploy and so on...
You interested in the Southeast? Job market is slowing turning back around down here...