Pre-packaged Seawater

lionpaw38

Have you guys seen this stuff..***** sells it for 9 bucks for 5 Gallons. Does make life a little easier. My Refractometer gauged it at 1.027 and I'm not sure if it all be the same or not..my guess is not. You can get the specs at www.catalinawater.com

sweetdawn

i dont use that brand but i do occasionally add a container of the real ocean water when i do a water change not all the time just one every couple of months figure cant hurt and puts nutrients into the water. when i set up my 55 gallon tank i used about half that water to fill it. now i wonder if thats why i have hundreds of snails all over the tank. little tiny ones

lionpaw38

Thats what I figured. Cheaper to mix but in a pinch it would be handy to have and would provide some good natural nutrients...

E

exile415

i think it makes life easier, I don't use that brand though

flatzboy

It works great although it can get pricey... I just drive my boat out into the gulf a few miles and fill up a few buckets and my corals seam to react so awesome to it after a water chage to it.. I/m just afraid that one of these days I'm gonna scopp up some red tide or parasites..

bergamer

that water is real good.....it is catalina water.
but it is expenive as you can buy the same water in los angeles lfs for much cheaper. .75 per gallon

druluv

After reading dr. ron's article, I have to relook my salt and water change schedule. Can this hobby get anymore confusing.

bergamer

clown fry, and it is real. apparently clown fish fry like to pile on top of each other for some reason.
I found the pic on a personal website on a guy who raises clown fish and he took the pic of the odd behavoir.

euphoria

I do all my water changes w/ ocean water. I pay $0.75/gallon. Never had any problems and still get extra nutrients you can't get by mixing.

madison

Catalina Water:
It's owned and operated by 2 guys who bought a used oil tanker about 10 years ago. They buy fresh water from the city ...millions of gallons every 30 days or so and sells it to Catalina Island by California.
On their return trip, they stop off the Northwest side of the island and fill up again with ocean water to stable their load for the trip back. One day they got smart and start filtering the ocean water and selling it to almost all the LFS's in So Cal.
The LFS usually have 1 to 5 600g drums with pumps to airate the water. I have even gotten some water with small pieces of micros and only once in 3 years with a small amount of pods...a couple of times I got some small crab legs.
I have always tested the water before using...0 Nitrate and 0 ammonia, salinity ranges from 1.020 to 1.027.
prices ranges from $0.39/g to $0.59/g
Hope that helps

dogstar

Interesting that the SG differs so much from batch to batch.
Do you test it for alk., Ph. or cal. too.