Predator Hunting

clown boy

I don't really agree with the terms that Jmick used... that it's "wrong" to hunt predators. Sure, it may not be the best thing for the environment, but it's not "wrong". If the last mountain lion in my state happens to live in my neighborhood, and I think it's a threat to my kids, mark my words, it's as good as dead.

mike22cha

Do we argue over everything? I mean politics is one thing, but we're arguing over whether a black bear is an omnivore or herbivore!

b bauer

[QUOTE=Jmickt. If you live in an area that has a high population of Coyotes then don't chain you little dog outside at night and if you do and it become coyote food then that's on you for not having a proper fence or a bigger dog.
in my area the coyotes take full grown labs and retrievers that are not chained up.the buffalo news printed a story that said why did the coyote cross the road?to get your cat.we our over run with them.they have no predators other than man in our area .and they jump 4' fence no problem

b bauer

Originally Posted by kclester
no thats a fish not a deer or elk which was stated that they hunt and kill which they dont and thats also a grizzly bear not the black bears of west virginia and north carolina that we are talking about ive been in the woods since i was old enogh to walk and i have neevr seen a bear fishing around here.......thats a grizzly where they have salmon runs....no salmon runs around here i dont think
brown bear is the same bear but diff location they are in Yellowstone park and other states

kclester

brown bear and black bear are very different brown bears are more aggresive and alot larger than black bears

kclester

and no i didnt say that man can do a better job im just sayin we can HELP......andeven if he dont help it i will do it anyways because it is what i was braught up doing.....and we arent argueing if bears are omivore's or herbavore's we all know that they will eat meat if they have the chance but they dont HUNT it

1journeyman

and no i didnt say that man can do a better job im just sayin we can HELP......andeven if he dont help it i will do it anyways because it is what i was braught up doing.....and we arent argueing if bears are omivore's or herbavore's we all know that they will eat meat if they have the chance but they dont HUNT it
No one is arguing.. just correcting your original statement that bears are "herbavores".
How exactly does man "help" nature regulate itself?

vpotts28

Jmick, I live in the city of Atlanta. I have a proper fence, and I have two sm-med dogs. Everynow and then, I see coyotes trying to find a way through my fence to get to my dogs. I have called the city and county, they refuse to do anything about it. I'm not going to wait until they find a way in. If I get the opportunity, they will be as good as dead. In your eyes, maybe I should trade my dogs in for bigger ones????? Are you kidding me??? Or maybe I should wait until they take out a small child.
Now I agree killing predatory animals isn't the best thing. But if a person kills a bear, and consumes it, I don't have a problem with it. In fact it is quite tasty, and it isn't filled with harmful antibiotics or steroids. That is what you are getting from a slaughter house. What I do have a problem with is people who kill for trophy, unless they are giving the meat away to people who really need it.
To those who think dog or ---- fighting is the same as hunting for food. #1 last I checked a deer is not a domesticated animal. #2 Hunting is regulated, you can't just pick up a gun and go out to hunt. You must acquire the proper licenses, in which the money is used to help wildlife out. Conservation programs stock fish in lakes and streams. They introduce and help species native to the area that are in danger of becoming extinct.
In some of your eyes it is ok to go out and buy beef or pork, where the animals were raised then slaughtered. Then they mark up the price a jillion percent. They fill the animals with as I said before, antibiotics and steroids. Do you know how bad it is for human beings to be consuming antibiotics regularly? It leaves us susceptible to drug resistant diseases.
If hunting isn't for you then so be it, but don't knock the person who does it.

kclester

what about the American wolf in yellowstone i think they were on the edge of being whiped out we MAN braught them back and got the populations back to where they need to be....the Bald Eagle almost gone what did MAN do we got their populations back up to par and i neevr said bears were complete herbavores i so 90% which is a fact

kclester

thank you vpotts.....i love huting its just they way i was raised and it upsets me when people say its wrong.....i dont knock them on what ever they love to do

1journeyman

what about the American wolf in yellowstone i think they were on the edge of being whiped out we MAN braught them back and got the populations back to where they need to be....the Bald Eagle almost gone what did MAN do we got their populations back up to par and i neevr said bears were complete herbavores i so 90% which is a fact
I actually did my senior seminar in college on the Reintroduction of the Gray Wolf to Yellowstone... Don't think you want to try to bend that to make your point...
The wolf wasn't about to be wiped out; It WAS wiped out. By the forestry and National Park Service, no less. It was brought back after years of study showed how badly the ecosystem of Yellowstone was suffering. 3rd tier predators like foxes, wolverines, martins, etc. were dying off for lack of food to scavenge on and from predation of the tier 2 predator, the coyote. Many birds of prey numbers were also declining because they were directly competing with the blossoming coyote numbers. Grasslands were being affected as subterrainean mammal numbers were off, etc.
In summary, the Gray Wolf was wiped out by man, and after 60 years we realized how badly we messed up and fixed out mistake.
Eagles again were brought to the edge of extinction by man.
Post #3 you said bears were herbavores.

kclester

go to where this post came from i said 90% herbavores and you just said how can man HELP so i gave you 2 examples of how we HELPED we did help bring both of their numbers back we may have been the reason for the declince in numbers but we brought them back also

kclester

ok im sorry that they are a view people out there that are against hunting i can really care less......so what i killed a dam bear....and i have killed alot of coyotes in my days...and i will continue to do this if i see another bear that i wanna take ill take it if i see another coyote that i wanna take ill take it......i kill animals and i eat them and i feed the needy with it so its really no ones concern what i do i just posted a pic of me thats what the forum was for so i posted if u dont like it so what get over it.....their are more dramatic things going on in the world than someone harvesting a wild animal for table fare....

clown boy

uhh... people seem to have simply flown over my post, so I'll post it again.
I don't really agree with the terms that Jmick used... that it's "wrong" to hunt predators. Sure, it may not be the best thing for the environment, but it's not "wrong". If the last mountain lion in my state happens to live in my neighborhood, and I think it's a threat to my kids, mark my words, it's as good as dead.

1journeyman

...and i dont know about where you live hut here in WV bears are not predators they are herbavors but continue thinking what you like
No where does this say anything about 90% like you are now saying.
You can't say man "helped" in those situations. All man did was correct our previous mistakes. That's like saying a murderer helped his victim by making sure he was comfortable after he shot him.

1journeyman

this is where it says it
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...2&page=7&pp=50
post 319 like i said earlier go look where this post orignated at and you will see what i said but apperantly u didnt knwo where it was.....and the pic that started everything is right above it
That post was made when you started correcting yourself for incorrectly stating that Black Bears are Herbavores.
Your original post is what I quoted. It clearly states what you said. Not a big deal, except you keep speaking to people as though you know more about wildlife than they do. Clearly that is not the case.

kclester

dude that was b4 u ever got into it and you can kiss my azz is what u can do because i see on every thread u post on you talk like your the most intellegent person in the world.......and you are really starting to get annoying i killed a dam bear big deal this has gotten out of control you are tryin to make me look dumb or something and i know that i know more about wildlife than you so like i said u can kiss my azz and i really dont care if i get banned from here im sure that veni and some of the friends i have made here wont mind helping me further past this forum and i was just telling everyone what i know about the subject and i know that black bears diet is based 90% on plants and berries which make them 90% herbavores like i said and your trying to say i never said that and i know that your a complete effin idiot with their head so far up their azz that they cant breathe anymore.....so thank you and have a nice day
cry babies always wanting something to argue about

reefraff

I think I am going to go out and whack an Eagle and grill her up for lunch

Of course it is illegal to shoot birds of prey and in the case of eagles even possess a feather without proper documentation. Same rules for migratory birds too. About 15 years ago my Sister in law's dog was attacked by a flock of Ravens and nearly killed. The neighbor who attempted to help the dog was attacked and ran back into her house. They had to get a special permit before they could shoot the ravens. Crows and Magpies are on that list too.
As far as bears, wolves Coyotes etc. go you either have to control the population (hunting) or expand or allow them to expand their habitate. It's one thing for country dwellers to learn to co-exist with those critters but letting them expand their range into urban areas is nuts. The fees hunters are willing to pay for a chance to hunt large predators helps to fund all wildlife management.

lil' tanker

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
I believe bears are omnivores.

some not all though and I think pretty much all of them eat some meat