pregnant peppermint shrimp

dustintx

So I'm thinking of seperating this shrimp to a 10 gallon with an air stone. Anyone have any experience with raising these shrimp?

bang guy

I have. It's very time consuming and error prone.
Of the 40 or so people I have explained how I did it I have not heard a positive report from even one so I now recommend not trying unless you're happy even if it doesn't work.
There have been a lot of hobbiests do it successfully though so it's not impossible.

dustintx

I have.  It's very time consuming and error prone.
Of the 40 or so people I have explained how I did it I have not heard a positive report from even one so I now recommend not trying unless you're happy even if it doesn't work.
There have been a lot of hobbiests do it successfully though so it's not impossible.
Hey,I'm ok if they day...trial and error right. So how do u suggest doing it?

S

saltymac2012

I wasnt trying to breed them, they just did. I only know this because I witness the birth. Awhile back I was watching the tank with just the blue lights on when I noticed two of my shrimp "dancing". I was thinking what the heck? Then the bigger of the 2 swam up towards the surf ace and let em go.......I got excited (free shrimp right?) only to lose the excitement as fast as it came. Every fish in the tank "woke up" and feasted then went back to bed. Free snack I guess.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinTX http:///t/391795/pregnant-peppermint-shrimp#post_3476431
Hey,I'm ok if they day...trial and error right. So how do u suggest doing it?
I set up a 32 gallon roughneck. A sponge filter sitting on the bottom against a wall with a 3/4 inch PVC pipe bringing the bubbles to the surface with a 90 degree elbow to convert the upward flow to a lateral flow right at the water surface. This causes a slow circular current and keeps the larvae off the walls. It also gathers detritus right in the center of the bottom of the container so it's easy to remove. A small light right hanging right over the center. Bright enough so yo can see all the way to the bottom but not superbright. A good 5w LED would be perfect for this. The shrimp larvae and artemia nauplii are both attracted to this light so it also keeps the shrimp off the wall and attracts their food to the same spot.
I had a couple bristleworms in there to clean up dead shrimp or leftover food.
I kept a decent supply of greenwater to feed any Nauplii that lived more than a day.
Fresh supply of Nauplii every day.
Freeze dried Cyclop-eeze and crupled up dried algae sheet sprinkled on the surface. Just enough so everyone gets a piece. The shrimp larvae are able to grab hold of food and chew so no need to grind up food for them. I used flaked food for a while but it caused water puruty issues. Their food needs to float.
When they metamorphosize for the last time (30 - 45 days) they will drop to the bottom of the container. It's time to take them out at that point because they will eat their unmorphed siblings.