pregnant seahorse

iluvseahorses

How do I know if my seahorse is pregnant? I have only had them for about a
week. His pouch is growing but doesnt look like the pics I've seen when I google pregnant
seahorse pics where they have huge round pouches. Mine seems like his pouch has two
small marbles in it, one on each side and they seem dark colored. When I first got him his
pouch was light colored and flat. He seems to be hanging out on the bottom alot the last few days and kinda drags around on the crushed coral. I hope he is not sick!!! If he is
pregnant, I'm in trouble because I do not have a fry tank or birthing tank setup yet. I don't even know exactly how to.
Any advice would be great!!! I've heard Reidi is very hard to raise the fry but
I would like to try if by chance he is preg.

tangs123

he may be sick with gas bubble disease, hopefully not but unless we can get a picture or some more information im not sure. read up on gas bubble disease because it can be treated,
one thing that makes me think it is not gas bubble is that he is on the bottom of the tank when usually seahorses will float up to the top

iluvseahorses

this is the best pics I could get of it but looking at it in person it really looks like 2 small dark balls in the pouch, one on each side. They have grown larger since last week.

cranberry

Not preganant. I have some pictures that you might be able to compare them to, but I don't have access to the pics from work.
But definately not pregnant.
This is the same species as yours of one of my boys "mildly" pregnant.

reefnutpa

Your seahorses pouch appears normal to me. No gas bubble disease and not pregnant, which give you more time to read up on the raising of fry ;)
They do appear dark though, what temp is your tank? 74F max is the best, sometimes if the temp is warmer, like 76F or more, they darken up. Since you've only had them a week and they may still be stressed a bit from being in a new tank, if they stay on the dark side you may try lowering the temp a degree or two to see if they brighten up like in Cranberry's pic (very nice Reidi, Cranberry!)
Very nice seahorses, btw. So no need to worry...they look like a fine pair!
Tom

novahobbies

When a male seahorse is courting a female, he will oftentimes flush his pouch with saltwater to fill it out a little, showing the female he's reaady to accept her eggs. Yours may be doing this, but I'm not sure about the apparent discoloration of the pouch area.
I wish I could post links to other threads, but if you google a man named "Pete Giwojna" you will find a forum he posts on about 4 links down. (shame about the no-link ban; I understand it, but this is not a discussion about purchasing items. Oh well)
I have found this man very helpful with my horses in the past -- you can post pictures on his forum also, and he always responds to people in need of help. I hope this helps!

novahobbies

Cranberry, great picture!! H. Reidi, I presume? Mine do headstands like that occasionally, but I can never get to the camera in time.
iluvseahorses, is this the first time your male would be pregnant? If so, it's possible he may actually be pregnant but with a small brood. The first pregnancy usually results in the release of underdeveloped fry, and only a small number compared to the usual brood size. "Small" being only a hundred or so.
Their usual brood size is larger...quite so.
Also, your mention of the horse staying near the bottom actually IS indicative of a pregnant pony. My boy stays near the bottom when he's close to term, moving around only to eat and to stay the hell away from the female. Seriously.
My ponies have had two pregnancies so far, and sadly, I've been unable to raise them past 4 weeks.
H. reidis are notoriously hard to raise. Breed? No problem, they breed like rabbits. Raising is an entirely different procedure.
Anyway, if you have a pair of horses and you wish to try to raise the fry, best you start researching and getting ready now. H. reidis, once they start, often have a good number of broods before they stop for a while.