Premixed vs Mixing your own

What are your thoughts?? I bought about 5 gallons at my LFS for the first time today, I just didn't feel like mixing any water today for my water change tomorrow to be honest.

stanlalee

premixed is just as good as mixing yourself if its affordable and the LFS maintains their water processing equipment. I trust my LFS in that regard (even though I mix my own). I'd test it randomly to make sure salinity is adequate and I'd probably test calcium, alk and mag for kicks although I'd still use it if they were low and dose the tank as needed. I'd probably ask what salt mix they were using as well. Hot avatar BTW err ah I mean good luck with the water.

bizzmoneyb

depends on what type of salt the store uses. my LFS uses Instant Ocean.. probably all do. not a fan of that salt.
plus lugging those 5 gallon jugs sucks

rlablan

I have my own RO unit, so I mix my own. If I didn't, I would sooner get it from the LFS, rather than use tap water.

sepulatian

What does your LFS sell? Are they offering their own water or is it saltwater in a jug? Either way it will be pretty expensive. The stuff in the jug needs to go into a bucket with a power head though, for at least 24 hrs. There is no oxygen in that jug.

jackri

I personally wouldn't trust the place that offers their own premix here. I have my own RO/DI unit -- saves a lot of lugging around, I wouldn't even consider it as I go through about 4 gallons of topoff a day.

flower

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3111882
I personally wouldn't trust the place that offers their own premix here. I have my own RO/DI unit -- saves a lot of lugging around, I wouldn't even consider it as I go through about 4 gallons of topoff a day.

+1…When I first moved to my mother’s house…her water was so bad I couldn’t even trust an RO unit to clean it up..the filters would clog up in a few weeks. I had to lug 48g of water every 2 weeks to keep the tank going…I have since moved and have my own RO unit…sweet bliss!
My LFS sold premixed, they never got my numbers right…I landed up just getting the highest amount of SG they sold in premixed water and added the RO water I got from Wal-mart to make it right.
I had hair algae when I used their water as well, so I don’t think it was a very good place to get my premixed. However if I had an emergency like a leaky tank…I at least know where I can get some water in a pinch. So I won’t write them off completely, they are just the last resort.

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/3111133
premixed is just as good as mixing yourself if its affordable and the LFS maintains their water processing equipment. I trust my LFS in that regard (even though I mix my own). I'd test it randomly to make sure salinity is adequate and I'd probably test calcium, alk and mag for kicks although I'd still use it if they were low and dose the tank as needed. I'd probably ask what salt mix they were using as well. Hot avatar BTW err ah I mean good luck with the water.
Thanks
lol

my LFS sells the kind that comes in a jug. It's like $8 for 2.5 gallons. I know it's expensive, so I may have to stop being lazy lol. I don't have a RO/DI unit so i'm trying to think of other alternatives