preventing corals or fish from dying due to high temp

artie1209

Reverse your light cycle night time temps are cooler so run your lights at night. Also extra fan in canopy will help.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by Espkh9
http:///forum/post/2588384
I need precise info I have expensive fish and very expensive corals.
I meant I don't know if you can safely go higher than 84, I have ran my tank from 78-83 for the last few months and I also have expensive corals. I have read that at 86deg that acros are very suseptable to rapid tissue necrosis.

espkh9

Originally Posted by Payton 350
http:///forum/post/2588401
if you've spent all the money already on everything whats a few hundred more on a chiller? what's cheaper ....a chiller or restocking the tank in the event of a crash
dont like how its $800 for a chiller why are they so expensive a heater is $40.
its psychological,...

payton 350

Side note, i also don't have acros or some of the more delicate corals either
yeah i don't know why it's so expensive....it's just cheaper and easier to warm things up then cool them down.....also because they know you need it and you have no other choice.

espkh9

I dont know how accurate the digital therm. is made bycoralie they say its off by either 1.5 degress up or down I would imagine the top of the tank is hotter than the bottom.. and my therm. is on the top of the tank and its always stable at 79-80F so hopefully the bottom is cooler...i'm just dreading the 100 deg. days of july...I have 3 air conditioner units in adjacent rooms and a ceiling fan near the tank...I also have a 9 inch hang on fan in the sump...so far so good. If i see any problems I might be forced to get a chiller.

gatorzone19

I live in florida to. My temp stays at 86 when the t5s are on and at night it goes down to about 84. I have anemones and some zoas. They seem to do fine.

mike15

While fish can sometimes live at higher temperatures, most corals would likely die.
I live in Arizona and during the Summer its 105 degrees outside and 95 inside (no air conditioning =0). I too was pretty upset at the prospect of buying a 400 dollar chiller but it was well worth the money.
If you absolutely need a cooling system and can't afford a chiller, perhaps try one of those DIY chillers. My friend made a chiller for his aquarium out of a 50 dollar mini fridge drilled to fit a bunch of coiled up tubing. Its not the best and doesn't look too great but it got the job done.
Hope this helps,
Mike15.

espkh9

thanks for the response but Ibhave no ideamwhat that was lol im not goof with DIY projects anyways if the time comes ill buy a chiller if i ca get away with it i wont.

sh00tist

A fan in your sump will help quite a bit as well as fans in your canopy and across the top of your water. The cheapest method I could come up with was to put a 50 gallon sump down in my crawlspace. I dont have a real short crawl space but rather one that you can sort of duck walk around in. It was a bit of a chore to get it all going but once it was up and running I havent had to do much of anything to it,Ive got about 100 bucks in it but am slowly filling it with live rock. Anyone you talk to with a basement sump will tell you they have to run their heaters in the summer. If the basement sump isnt an option change your lighting schedule so your big lights come on when you are home in the evening when it is cooler and you are available to put ice bottles into your sump,Ive still got a few in my freezer if you need some :}.

spiderwoman

Your firefish will probably the be the most temp sensitive fish of the bunch. Even 85 may kill them if the temp stays there long enough. In that I'm talking from personal experience, had the heater setup wrong and water spiked to 85 in December. I lost a purple firefish to that, everything else was fine.

espkh9

we're al good its in the 80's and and may 2 and so far my temp is stable at 78F with the fan in the sump. all is good thank you all.