Preventing Ich

neoreef

question about quarantine.
I've read here that Blue Hippo Tangs need large tanks (>=75 gallons )in order not to feel stressed; stress leads to ich. QTs are typically 20-30 gallons, so won't it feel stressed in a QT and then get ich from the stress of being confined?

briterco

hmmm...good question. my understanding is that ich can't survive in hyposaline circumstances, while the fish are ok. in my case, i used a 10g QT, but my new hippo was pretty small, like 1.5". he was pretty shy in the QT, but I only had a couple of places for him to hide. he's much bolder in the display, where there is ample live rock.

fishman830

Originally posted by briterco
hmmm...good question. my understanding is that ich can't survive in hyposaline circumstances, while the fish are ok. in my case, i used a 10g QT, but my new hippo was pretty small, like 1.5". he was pretty shy in the QT, but I only had a couple of places for him to hide. he's much bolder in the display, where there is ample live rock.

only if you bring it down enough,, 1.014 did it for me.. but DO NOT do it in a day.. do it very very slowely

master 33

skip buying all the qt stuff and uv sterilizer and go to your lfs and buy a bottle of kick ich. Follow as directed. Worked for me.

jblabs

As with most things, the one shot fix it all chemical is of limited value. (kick ich)
QT and hyposalinity are easy, but they take time and are proven to kick the ich.