Prices for T5 Lighting

timsedwards

Hi Guys,
I have just been to my LFS here in England to get prices for lighting to my 260l tank using T5 preferably. Can someone tell me if they think the price is fair or if there is anywhere cheaper online or in the US who will ship?
Double starter unit - 2x@£69.99 each
4 T5 Light tubes (2x White 250w and 2x Blue Actonic) - £100-£120
TOTAL = £240-£270 = $387-$435
Is this anygood? Know anywhere cheaper? It excludes a hood which I can make :D

I have heard so much about the T5 lighting, but havent seen it sold anywhere and dont know how its like, but if you have a 260 liter tank which is like a 70 gallon(im not sure) and it cost to around $387-$435, I would only buy them if T5 are more preffered in reef tanks than metal halides, because metal halides come around the same price and are very good for the reef tank.

timsedwards

Well the prices I have been quoted, metal hallides have been £500 or so here, which is $750 ish? But does the hallide come with the four bulbs etc I need?

:eek: depending on the the tank size, but the metal halide systems that come that expensive mostly come with the full hood and the actinics, the actinics arent needed if you have the metal halide but it gives the tank a beautiful color, some retrofited systems are cheaper, but I still recommend power compacts, although they arent as strong as metal halide you can still keep about everything and even some people have had luck with clams, and other high lighting corals. But im interested in some info in the T5, and the intensity it has.

timsedwards

Yes I need the whole hood and I did want some actonics as well, so maybe T5 is the way to go? T5 is available now in Europe and from what people ahve said theya re over the moon with it!

got any pics of how a tank looks like with the T5 or a pic of the lights. But anyway what are the dimensions of your tank and how is your budget right now for some new lights, because metal halides with a hoodsystem and actinic wont come as cheap, but some good deals do appear from time to time.

timsedwards

No Im afraid I dont, but a few guys I know ahve them from the LFS and they grow corals etc and he thinks they are absolutely fantastic. My budget is not a lot more im afraid than £250 ($350-$400?), any thoughts? My tank is 4' curved and holds 72gals.

sorry, but I did not find any metal halide systems that where in your range, the closest I found was about $570, even some retrofit kits came to about $450! I would keep searching but its hard. Sorry, maybe others might help in finding cheaper prices or you might want to check out in the trading and classifieds, but it is going to be difficult finding mh at a low price.

timsedwards

OK thanks for trying :D
What are the advantages to MH other than it being an all in one unit ready made? Does anyone know the differences between T5 and MH and which one is better? See earlier post for specs.

HEH go with MH! Im gettin a 60"inch 1030 wattz, for 924.99... im thinkin its not that bad, anybody disagree and can find me a better price?

jonthefb

Aqua medic, a german based company sells T5 hoods/lights, etc. i have never seen them fired up, and dont know much about them in the way of intensite, but i do know of one person in denver who uses a combo of the hqi mh's and t5 lights and he loves it! i too am looking to illuminate my new 65 and am planning on going with 2 250 wattt mogul based 10K mH and 2 *55 watt power compacts as actinics. this should give me more than enough lighting for my 65, and should work well with yours also Tim.
XXvietjustin, i have that same setup on my 135 and love it. is yours a hamilton fixture? great stuff and excellent service!
good luck
jon