prices in florida

reefermon

I live in michaigan now I have a 150 reef tank lots of corals and live rock. I am planning to move to florida next summer. I was first going to sell all the live rock corals and fish. And keep the tank to set up in florida. But my friend told me that the tank corals and fish would be a lot cheaper in florida. Does anyone that lives in florida know the prices on live rocks and corals here in michigan live rock is 5.99 per pound I like my tank because I put a grey laminate over it so it gives it a better look. How much would a 150 to 240 galloon run with a stand roughly I can build my own canopy top for it. Of should I keep my tank when I go to florida thanks for the imput

dogstar

I live in S Fl. and I dont think on avg. things are cheaper here.
Most LFS get everything shiped to them just like any where else. Its just that there are a lot of them, big city bright lights.
Some are good ppl. and some are crooks. Rocks not any different, you can get it here for that. Most ppl. I know shop big items on the net because that always beats LFS prices anyways.
IMO depending on your circumstances, You should be able to bring everything with you. If you plan it right, driving yourself, big truck, lots of styro boxes, buckets, pic a cloudy/ rainy day/ night because of heat, tear down last and set up first. Most of the stuff suppliers ship live is in boxes/bags for days anyway.
Welcome to Fl. and dont get sunburn

reefermon

Thanks for the imput. I will tear the tank last and head to fl, and that will be the first thing I set up. The lr put in stro boxs and keep moist all the corals should I put them in 5 gallon buckets or bags? And should I try to save some of the water.

dogstar

yes, yes, yes
Rather see you try to pack corals and and if you have fish too in styro somehow so the temp doesnt change so fast on then and rock in buckets w/ wet towels. Might want to look in to a chiller because down here there more important than heaters if you dont all ready have one.
Where in Fl. you goin?

reefermon

thinking about orlando, not sure yet myself and friend are going, we have a painting business here in michigan, in fl. House are being put up way faster than in mich. So we figure that were young no kids why not try to make it in a nice place. Where do u think is a good area. Would I still use a heater in the tank with the chiller?

ags

I might get flamed for this but I hate Orlando. Too many transients and not enough of an identity outside the world's theme park city.
As for coral, live rock and tank prices, everything is about the same. LR generally runs $4.99lb to $6.99lb. I have not seen too much inconsistency in coral prices either. I agree with the other poster, keep your tank and plan ahead.
Ags

reefermon

Thanks for replay ags I have decided to keep the tank, due to the fact I can't part without it. I've heard stuff about orlando too. I don't know where to go is tampa nice, and do they have lots of houses being bult, o yea are there lots of women there, I would like to be kind of close to the ocean too, cand u send me some citys that are nice, were going there for a week to look at citys and apts, very excited michigan is boreing now need a new set of scearny are the chillers are sold at a lfs in fl, I haven't check here for one. Thanks for everything...

ags

Both Orlando and Tampa have a lot of woman you will have no complaints living in either city on that issue. Or anywhere in FLA for that matter.
All of Florida's real estate market is booming. Tampa is closer to the Gulf than Orlando is the Atlantic but neither are far drives. In fact you can be at the beach in 30 minutes from both cities.
Miami is Miami. Some love it, some hate it.
Jacksonville is in Florida but has more of a Southern Georgia feel to it. Land wise it is the largest city in the USA so there is room for expansion. It also is right near the beach.
I do business in all four cities. All have their strong points and weak points.

dogstar

They dont like Yankies north of W. Palm. Watch out for them Rednecks

What am I saying, Im a red neck.....:rolleyes:

ags

All the reds are north of Tampa. In these parts of FL its the crackers you have to look out for!

reefermon

Thanks for the replies I will check into tampa I would not want to move to the wrong part cause when they find out I from michigan I don't want another civil war going on lol, good luck with your business ventures, I will try to go as south as I can go if rent is afforable

judyk

Don't worry about being from the north. You're the majority. There are very few of us native Floridians left. Most can't afford to live here anymore. Construction is going on all over the state. Beware though, workers comp here is outrageous. At least, start out working for someone else before you start your business here. It'll give you a feel for how you like it and see if you can make our 6 month plus summers. You should have no problem finding work anywhere.

judyk

Reefermon
Do a google search on Florida newspapers. You should be able to get a lot of info on different cities. Good luck.

About the lr prices. It depends on what store you go to. I have one store here that sells lr for 8.99 pr lb and another one that sells for 4.99 per lb. The store with the 8.99 sells a 1 inch purple tang for 76.00 and the other lfs sold one three times that size for 79.00. I have like 20 lfs where I live.