Prizm Deluxe Skimmer question

dbalkema

OK, So I have had this skimmer for about 2 weeks now. I had a kimmer before it and it was producing foam and stuff but it was kinda old so I thought I would get a new one. I had heard some good things about it from this site.
Anyway, for 2 weeks I have not been producing foam at all. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong??? Is this a bad skimmer? If anyone could help I would appreciate it!!
Thanks,
Dan

corally

I have the same skimmer and have actually heard bad things about it from this site. It took about two weeks to start foaming but it was in a new set up. Mine is sometimes a pain, needing primed again for no reason.

dbalkema

Originally Posted by corally
I have the same skimmer and have actually heard bad things about it from this site. It took about two weeks to start foaming but it was in a new set up. Mine is sometimes a pain, needing primed again for no reason.

What do yoou mean by needing primed again?

jafrench

Start the siphon by pulling the airline off of the collection cup and holding your finger over the end with the adjustment knob fully open. By the way, you have to have the skimmer already full of water. once the water starts flowing, it will look like water is going to start pouring into cup, but it won't. Wait for all air to get out of uplift tube, then turn adjustment knob to minimal flow. Remove your finger and plug airline into the right stem on the collection cup, the one on the right. Adjust the knob until the foam is barely going over the top. Wait fifteen minutes, if the stuff in the collection cup is see through at all, turn flow down. If there is nothing, barely and I mean barely turn up. Do this until the cup gunk is very dark and it takes a while to fill up. They are a pain to adjust correctly, but work great once adjusted. Hope this helps.

azocean709

I just bought the same skimmer yesterday for my 30 gallon, I had no trouble priming it and it started foaming right away. you do have to keep watch of it for awhile to get it adjusted right. another thing that i noticed with it is that a change in salinity will have an affect on the way that it produces foam. so if you do a water change and your SG is a little differant from what is in your tank, you have to adjust it again. i was off one mark and it changed.

jmpowie

I have a prizm pro deluxe (big one) it made foam in about 3 days. I think it works great for skimming but it will for no reason just fill the cup with water then blow gals of water all over the floor untill the water in the tank drops down below the intake. sometimes it will do it after 2-3 days of use or sometimes it takes weeks.

rstiles

cut the flow of water back it shoud solve your over flow problem,I have two prizm skimmers ,other than being a little noisey comepared to the other brands I have.thay work fine.

corally

Originally Posted by dbalkema
What do yoou mean by needing primed again?

When you prime it to get it started..when you put the air tube over the hole on the far left, then you move the tube to the hole on the right. For no apparent reason it will suddenly stop pulling water up the intake tube and I will have to prime it again.

rstiles

is the intake fully seated into the pump ? wet the o ring then reinstall make sure to push down and turn to lock in place.