Prizm Skimmer Not Bad!

sillyqueen

Hiya guys..I JUST got done hooking up my new Prizm...I was surprised that it ISN'T noisy like I'd read. Maybe because all my other equip is ;)
Anyways..I have it turned way down like I've read I should do...I have bubbles just below the o_ring...my question is, Im having trouble telling what is water and what is bubbles..is it the bubbles that should stay below the o_ring, or should I let the bubbles rise and have the water itself below the ring?
Sorry..it's my first Skimmer and I'm skimmerdumb.
I hope to see some brown stuff soon..or preferaby green since Im having an algae outbreak.
Thanks!

andymi

I am not familiar with the Prizm skimmers but most have a water line on them. This is where the water needs to be and the rest is bubbles.
HTH
-Andy

pufferlover

andymi is correct. You want the water level just below the O ring and if there are bubbles above it great it is working for you. Remember I have found that the flow must be almost closed completely or else the collection cup ends up full of water not gunk. I just have my flow control barely open and it works like gangbusters. I to do not find the noise at all bothersome as some have reported altho I have the older 12 blade impellar (got new 18 but just put it away for now).

big dave

Just unplug it, fill it with water about 1/2 way, plug it back in and hold your finger over the venturi airline running into the pump. It should fill to the correct level in a few seconds then you can let go of the airline. It should be fine if you do it that way. I have sold many and have heard some great stories about them. We replaced the old skimmer on our 28 display reef at the store with one and it seems to be working much harder than the old one.

sillyqueen

OK..heres what I have now. I opened the valve until I got the bubbly water to the o_ring. Its bubbly, not dirty bubbly..just bubbly. Theres nothing above it. I cant see a real definate "water line" of "still" water. Is it right to have the bubbly water just below the o_ring?
Dave..I'm not sure what you mean exactly...wouldnt I lose my prime? The book said it would take between 20 secs and 0ne minute to prime..it took me over ten minutes!!! The only way I got it to prime was to tip it forward into the water.
The water would rise..Id hold my breath..then it would go back down. Rise again, back down again. When it fianlly went I was VERY releived! I dont wanna have to do that again!