prizm skimmer question

bbreaux1

i got my skimmer on but i can get it all the way up against the back of the tank so it leans alittle back is this okay or should i rig a way to have some shims or something to make the skimmer straight up and down

bbreaux1

yes i know but the problem is i cant tighten it all they way to get it striaght because the intake pipe hits again my cover if i tighten it up any further

katfish

Anyway to cut some of the cover? If not go ahead and try it tilted a little bit...Guess it depends on how much of an angle it is sitting at :) :D

birdy

I had the same problem with my prizm, I am assuming you have a glass cover like I did. I bought a piece of eggcrate it can be cut to fit around your equipment. Also not having a glass top will be better for your tank, it will keep it from overheating and will help get more oxygen to your tank.

bbreaux1

its plastic but its cut as far as itll go before the light its a walmart tank with one of those cheap plastic covers and lights gonna upgrade it later on but kinda run low on cash for it now

i am having the same exact problem. i just left mine at an angle for now but it is still not really skimming. could this be the reason. it has been up and running for about 72 hours now and skimming hardly anything, could this be the reason?

drkegel

I screwed mine all the way in, leveled it as best I could, and just set the glass cover so it rested on the intake. It worked for me. Although I don't think it was a big enough skimmer for my 55. It skimmed a lot of gunk though after a week or so. It seems to me there was a "break-in" period with it.

norm

Hey bbreaux1
I had the same issue all I did was grab a small book like a kids book that was about the same size of the prizm skimmer and prop it between the skimmer and the back of the tank then I was able to screw in the skimmer no problem.
Hope this helps.
P.S. my wife was looking for the book he he LOL.

bbreaux1

thanks ill probibly cut alittle piecie of wood or something since im need to build alittle stand to put my gascan for my watertop off behind my tank this weekend.and drkegelyou dont think its big enough for a 55? did you have it on 24hrs or just some times.ive got a 55 and plan on having it on just about 12hrs a day i guess even if it is undersized some skimming is better thank none at all and i cant beat the price you can get a prizm for that i found anyways

S

steveg

I had the same problem with the Prizm Skimmer. I placed a 1 x 2 piece of wood on the outside between the tank and the skimmer. It tightened well and works fine that way.