Prizm skimmer (Red Sea) problems

jojo_b

I am getting more and more frustrated with my Prizm skimmer. It seemed to be working fine for the past 18 months and now it has issues with not keeping suction. I've taken it down and cleaned it out, I keep up with the collection cup, but that doesn't seem to help. I'll start it up, and it'll run for about 45min and then it'll loose suction and it's just sitting there pretty much dead in the water, making this noise as if "I'm trying but I just don't have the strength." Then again, sometimes it'll run properly for more than 45 min. It seems to be quite random as to when it's going to work vs when it's going to not-work.
Any suggestions as to what I should do to get more consistent results?

alyssia

My prizm did that for the entire four months that I had it. Then it died completely. That thing is a piece of junk.

reefer75

Mine would do the same thing. After every cleaning it would go through a break in period again. After keeping up with it for a few days it would work just fine. I would pinch the tubing ( instead of removing and putting the tubing on the priming

[hr]
.), and open valve 100%, then adjust flow again. After a few times it would start to work great. I started cleaning it less, and had less problems. It has been a real good skimmer here lately. Knock on wood!

turningtim

Mine skims very well in the landfill somewhere I'm sure........
Save your pennies and trash it! To many good skimmers at that price point these days!

maxalmon

Which type of Prizm skimmer are you using, I just ordered a Prizm Pro and now you making me nervous

alyssia

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Which type of Prizm skimmer are you using, I just ordered a Prizm Pro and now you making me nervous

The one I had was the prizm deluxe. Their is a picture of it on this site under dry goods.

shrimpdady

My prizm skimmer works just fine.
Only had it for two weeks, but it has filled the entire collection cup four times.
Had no problems adjusting it either.

saltfan

Have you opened the water flow up enough to keep the siphon going? Once the water is flowing, the valve should be ( figure that at 180 it is completely opened) opened just alittle more than half way.

andyaz

I have that same problem with my Prizm, not sure I have the Pro or Deluxe, probably just the Deluxe. It's reeeeeeeeaaaly touchy when it comes to adjusting it, just a little too far open and it will just fill up with water rather than the froth. I'll get it balanced perfectly, but after a day or two I will get the same loss of suction and have to pinch the tube to get the water back up in the pipe. When it works, it is a good little skimmer. I will probaly swap it out, though, on my new tank after that breaks in a bit. I spent too much getting the tank, sand, and LR, can't afford to swap out the skimmer . . . yet . . . hope my wife doesn't read this forum

maxalmon

Just a few to many of the same complaints, so I cancelled the order for the prizm and I'm going to get another Coarlife needlewheel. The one I have now is awesome, simple to setup, a little big, but thats always a good excuse to upgrade everything else.

alyssia

Just a few to many of the same complaints, so I cancelled the order for the prizm and I'm going to get another Coarlife needlewheel. The one I have now is awesome, simple to setup, a little big, but thats always a good excuse to upgrade everything else.

Good decision!

jojo_b

Maxalmon, I'm not sure exactly what model of Prizm I have, but I do think it's the Pro. How does your Coralife needlewheel work? Very much differently? Is the footprint/shadow much bigger than the Prizm? I ask because the space for the skimmer is limited.
SaltFan, similarly to AndyAZ, the adjusting of my Prizm is touchy. I've taken to leaving it as you suggested, but the resulting skimmate is not as dark as it used to be. Pretty clear actually. But for the past 2 days the skimmer hasn't given me any grief. Maybe it knows that it's days are numbered.

saltfan