Prizm Skimmer

diverinva

I have a 45 gallon tank with crushed coral and 27 pounds of live rock. I want to get some coral and am trying to find a skimmer that would work well. What does anyone think about the Prizm. Also does anyone know a good online fish/coral store?

I use a Prizm on my 77 gal tank and think it works very well. Some are concerned with the noise that the air intake makes but I have tuned it out. Between 3 fish tanks and 3 dogs I can tune anything out :)
I only have to empty it about once a week and then about once a month I take the whole thing apart and give it a good cleaning. Gets a lot of fish crap out of the water!
It took about 2 weeks of fiddling with the valve and letting it break in before I got the flow/air combo that worked the best. After that, I've hardly had to change, jsut a tweak now and then.
Another bonus I personally like is that it's a fairly slim skimmer and if there isn't a lot of room between a tank and a wall this is great, it sits right against the tank wall and only sticks out about 3" from the back and about 4" from the top

guppie

I have one on my 29 reef and it works great, pulls all kind of junk out of the tank, once you get it set right no problems just getting it set can take a little time. Good Luck

zachary

I love my prizm on a 75g. Just a hint though, when you start- only leave the valve open a very little bit. Over time you can open a little at a time. This advice would have saved me hours of trying to figure out if something was wrong. Good Luck.

pufferlover

I too like my Prism and highly recommend them for those who want a low cost, well designed hang on Skimmer. Yes the secret to them is to open the flow control just a hair in the beginning or else you only get a lot of water in the cup. Wonder why they do not tell us that in the instruction book?. I still say at least with mine (and it is the old 12 blade model) there is no noise at all from it and never has been. For the few bucks they sell for they are a great
investment.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The prism should work fine in your smaller tank, and if the Prizm that you get does not come with the 18 blade impeller wheel, you can contact RED SEA and have them send you one for FREE. This will greatly reduced the noise level of the Prizm.
Additionally, Saltwaterfish.com sells the items you are inquiring about. Aside from that, it is a violation of this BB to discuss other online store vendors. You're new, so I guess you missed that part of your agreement when you signed on. :D
Seriously, for good deals and amazing quality, checkout Saltwaterfish.com Store
Welcome to the BB!
[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]