Probably get a ton of people who ask this...

rockette

What's a good size tank for a starter? I am a chemist so I know I would do well with a fish tank, but I only live in a 1 bedroom apartment. I was thinking of about a 75 gallon tank, but thinking that even may be too large. Any help on what size I should get would be appreciated. My local fish store is just attempting to sell me the largest tank possible.

veni vidi vici

Welcome to the boards.

I would say get the biggest tank you can for a couple of reasons:
1.This hobby is addicting your going to want a bigger tank as soon as you fill the one you buy.
2. More water volume will help in maintaining water parameters.
3.Limitations in what you can have.
Check out some corner tanks,1/4 rounds or maybe a taller tank .

alix2.0

welcome to the boards.

i agree with getting the biggest tank possible. i have been in this hobby for about 2 years and i have already been through a 20 gallon and a 30 gallon, and i am in the process of setting up a 75. the larger volume of water also helps keep parameters stable. for example if a gallon of water evaporates out of a 10 gallon tank you are going to have major problems. if a gallon of water evaporates out of a 75 you will barely notice it.

drpaul84

yea i agree but at the same time, i would say the largest you can manage, since the bigger the tank, the more equipment and the more expensive the equipment, you have to live by your means , so figure out what you can afford, what will fit in to the space available, an then what you can manage, also decide what you want to keep in the tank before you get started, so you dont end up spending time and money on things you do not need.

metweezer

Hi & welcome to the boards

Weight can also be a problem. Do you live on the ground floor? Wood floors? Water weighs about 8 lbs. a gallon. A 75 gal would require 75-115 lbs. of LR if you chose to go that way.

scsinet

Were you thinking of a reef or a fish only (FO / FOWLR) tank?
75g is the way to go as a minimum size. 90g is also a great starter size. 55, 75, and 90g tanks are all 4' wide. This will make your lighting easier as all major technogies (VHO, T5, Halide) are readily available for 4' lengths. At the same time, a 55g is only 12" front to back, which makes stacking live rock difficult and awkward.
75G is 18" front to back, and believe me, that 6 extra inches makes a HUGE difference.
For my usual unsolicated advice..
1. Plan for a sump and spend the extra cash on a drilled tank. Drilled tanks make sumps super easy, and sumps are awesome for hiding equipment and give you the greatest water volume.
2. Invest in a GOOD protein skimmer. Budget at least 300-400 for a good Euro Reef, MRC, AquaC, Octopus, etc skimmer. They are worth every penny above "the rest" for saved headaches alone. If you don't have any money left after the tank and skimmer, then skimp on the lighting and don't bother with a reef right now. It's worth it...
3. Purchase a refractometer straight away. Don't bother wtih swing arm hydrometers to determine your salinity.
4. Get a good book such as the Conciensious Marine Aquarist (Fenner).

rockette

Thanks for the info guys. And yes, I'm on a ground floor so I don't think the weight would be too much of an issue. If I post in a week about the tank falling through the floor, then it was an issue, LOL!
I've already set aside a nice budget for this, as I think it will make a great addition to my apartment. I love to dive as well, so this is the closest I can get to a reef without a 3+ hour flight.

notsonoob

I would even step up to a 120 if you have the money.
One point is that as your tank establishes itself and fish grow, they like more space. Especially with fish like Tangs and such. I would research everything you want to buy. A lot of info from companies that sell, fish under estimate the size of the tank required for your fish. Think about it, they are in the market to sell, sell, sell, and sell.
My 72 is already turning into the Friday night fights. I was going to set up another 72, but now that my tank is getting more agressive I decided to step up to a 120 at least, maybe even a 150. If you are going to set up a tank you should bypass this hassle.

B

b&wclowns

look get what you can
any size tank is nice the smaller the more work you have

stdreb27

you are asking the wrong crowd. Since I would dare say most people here would have a 1000 gallon tank if they had the money and space. But on a more practical note, you need to ask yourself what do you want to put into your tank? With a smaller tank you are limited on the livestock you can provide. But if you want a reef tank, a large setup will be very expensive to setup and maintain, once you start buying the high dollar salt, other additives and getting addicted to aquiring frags.

phxfishguy

I have a 150 reef, but it is an expensive hobby. I didn't realize how much so. Even a nano tank can cost some bucks. And then there is maintenance. I definitely recommend to do some research and decide exactly what you want to keep in it. Then look at what minimum size tank you need and investigate the cost to see if it's within your budget. Don't ask the LFS, check out everything online and ask in these forums.