Problem with a clam.

spyderreef

I noticed yesterday that my clam has a hole in it about the size of a pencil. It is a blue max and the hole is in the fleshy part. Will it close up again? Is there anything I can do for it? It looks fine otherwise. Could a sting from an anemone cause it? I have one near by that soon will be moved to a different tank.

yosemite sam

How long have you had the clam and how big is it? By "fleshy part", I assume you mean the central area? There are few types of parasites that can cause such hole. Check the byssal opening (on the bottom/side of the shell) for Pyramidellid snails, tiny snails that look like grains of rice. I don't know if the anemone would but a hole in the clam, but it probably isn't helping if it can actually touch the clam. If it seems to be, move the clam. The calm can heal, but you need to fix the problem pronto. Can you post a pic?

spyderreef

I will post a pic as soon as I can. I know that the hole should not be there. I've had it for at least 3-4 months. The clam is about 4-5" long. I have not seen the anenome touch it but it seems to get close. I know that it has a vermitid (sp?) snail on it which is harmless.

spyderreef

Here is a pic. The color is not right but you can see the hole. Anyone know what the polyp is on it. It's taking over my tank and I would like to get rid of them.

yosemite sam

Sorry, a few more questions. Under what light do you keep it and (besides being on the substrate) what conditions is it in. It seems rather dark, which is often the sign of insufficient light. Was it this color when you bought it? Also, has it been growing in your tank? The easy way to tell is if you see fresh, white shell at the lip of shell. After 3-4 months yous hould see obvious growth. There are some parasitic crabs that can attack clam (seems unlikely to start suddenly after 4 months though) and even hermit crabs or fish can cause this damage. However, it may be do to stress if the clam is not growing or doing well.

spyderreef

The clam is on the substrate because I had difficulty in placing it on a rock. Everytime I did it would fall over. I stopped trying a while ago because I did not want to stress it. The color looks poor because of the camera. It is a lot bluer than what the pic shows. I have a 125 tank with 2 175 watt MH. The clam sits directly below one of them. The crabs that I have seen I did not put there. I have not seen one for a long time. It seem to have been doing well, coming out fully. I can try and move him up in my tank it you think it would help. Any hints on getting it to attach.

yosemite sam

I could never get my maxima to attach to the rocks either. The trick is finding a place that it likes, which means low current and high light. Sometimes using little pieces of rock to support it helps prevent it from falling, but if it keeps jumping, then it doesn't like the spot. You can always keep moving it until it finds a place. I mentioned the lighting because the clam seems really black in the photo. A black clam (with some specific exceptions) is a bad sign and usually is the result of an overcompensation of zooxanthallea to get more energy. If the black is actually blue, then thats not an issue. You seem to have plenty of light. I'm trying to go through the list of potential trouble makers. If there is definite growth, then the clam is healthy. Do you feed it anything? If the clam is growing and healthy, then a parasite seems a likely alternative to stress. Have you added any new fish or other critters to the tank recently? What other inverts do you have? Also, describe the crabs you saw. Finally, check under the mantle at the lip of the clam to see if there are any unwelcome guests at the top.

spyderreef

The color is blue not black so I am not worried about it's health. The person that I bought is from will be over in a week I will have him look at it to make sure it is growing. I have not added anything lately, my tank in full because I added a number of things from my friends tank in October. I am setting up a 120 and waiting for it to cycle. A number of things will be moved to that tank. The only new fish since the clams is another hippo tang and a dottyback. The crab I saw was pinkinsh and white. I usually would see it when the lights were out or when they first came on. The crabs are a little smaller than a quarter. I am not sure how else to describe them. They bury themselves in holes in the rock. I don't feed my clam anything. I do add DT's about once a week but I usually add that to the surface water. What can I feed it? I appreciate your effort to help me. I will inspect it today and look for unwanted critters. I will also try and find a spot on a rock if you think that would help. Should I move it higher in the tank? Thank you again for your assistance. I love this clam and would hate to loose it.

yosemite sam

If the clam is healthy and growing, I would leave it where it is. Just putting DT's in the tank will be fine. Force feeding them is a bad idea as even very fine stuff has a tendency to clog their gills. A crab the size that you described would probably do more damage than that little hole, so it seems like it's somthing else. Check it expecially at night to see if any other critters are climbing onto it. Is the hole smooth or jagged? Sometimes, hermit crabs and shrimp can poke holes in the mantle. If it's smooth, it may have just gotten poked. Your clam can get better, so just keep an eye on it and make sure the hole isn't growing, and post an update in a few days. I'm really curious about this.

rkm

As long as the hole is not getting any bigger or something is still not eating it. It will fix its self. At least that is what mine did. I had the same size hole in the same spot. I also had one of the flaps eaten up to. This happened a while back. Today it is back to the way it was before the hole.
Just a little info. I know very little on clams. This is just from my situation.:)
good luck