Problem with a pH spike

vyperone

I thought I had finally got my pH to hang between 8.2 and 8.3
The other day it dropped to 8.15 for the day then the next day it shot to 8.4, the nextday 8.5 and tonight it topped out at 8.57. If this keeps up it will be at 9.0 by the end of next week.
I tested alkalinty and while it was a little low not enough to be the issue ( i think ). All my other parameters are fine. So either my pH probe is defective or I got something going on in the tank.
Anybody have any clues to share with me?

big

If your probe is like mine, the calibration may be an issue. Try to recalibrate the probe first.

L

lbaskball

What is the best way to calibrate the pinpoint pH probes? Because....what I noticed is that..if you keep the the probe inside the packet with the calibration solution for at least 5minutes for each (7.0 and 10.0) after your done, the readings will be low , but if you only keep the probe in there for short time...less then a minute, the readings will be high. Anyone knw of a good way to calibrate? I know the reads will start adjusting when I put it in the solution, and the readings will stop adjusting..but if I wait...after 2 minutes the readings will slowly move down or up one by one. So in the end, I end up waiting for 5minutes and the readings still adjust one by one. And this was a new pH probe.
How should I calibrate my Ph Probe?

vyperone

Yes, calibration did cross my mind. Doing the pH test the chmical way shows the pH high but not nearly as high as it is on the digital meter.
As far as how to calibrate, I can only go by what the manufacturer says on how to perform the procedure.