Problem with ich, need help!!!

cranberry

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3231998
Define host?How is ich benifitting from crabs ,snails and rock

It's not benefitting persa except to maybe give it a stable environment to adhere to?.... it just lands on there in a cocoon if you will. Within that cocoon it multiples into a kajillion babies. Those babies are released and go to find a fish to suckle. If there isn't a fish, they will just drop and die.

florida joe

come on guys "benefit" To be beneficial to, any surface that the ick parasite can land on to start its division is beneficial. but getting back to what started this conversation. my statement once again is invertebrates can host the ick parasite

cranberry

I think that is stretching the meaning when discussing the realm of parasites.
That personally would not be the word I would use.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3232068
I think that is stretching the meaning when discussing the realm of parasites.
That personally would not be the word I would use.

It's not benefitting persa except to maybe give it a stable environment to adhere to?
ummm ok

cranberry

Personally, I think it will add to the confusion of a topic we try to hard to clarify. Here we are specifically talking about parasitic hosting, which derives life at the expense of another.... that's a little different than stretching the general term "to host".
Wanting to accurately depict what happens in the least confusing way, I would prefer to say "Rock (or whatever surface) contaminated with Tomonts or encapsulated parasites".
OP, you don't have any questions do you? Everything is being taken care of over there?

erifish3

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3231928
Al MC,you sound like you may have dealt with this before
,and learned the hard way,as myself and so many others have.
erifish,ich got into your system,it sucks.It is now there and ALWAYS will be,unless you empty your tank of all fish,treat them with hypo or copper,or let your DT fallow for 6 weeks or more.Your inverts can stay,they can carry ich but ich can't host inverts,without a host it will die off. I did this about a year ago,it works ..... Also,just noticed your stock and tank size,theres alot of stress going on in there,i'm not going to tell you to get rid of any fish,but you better kill this ich,because it comes back bigger and badder everytime.Good luck man

I was in the process of rehoming the grouper and trigger on C-list but this came up, so now its on hold. The grouper never showed any signs of ich but i wouldn't feel right selling them like that.

erifish3

Lost the juvi emperor angel and moved huma out of the DT. Lion shows no signs of improvement. Salinity has been at 1.010 for the last 2 weeks and temperature is at 84. Am i doing something wrong?

raf

I'm still waiting for someone to say that your tank is overcrowded. seems to be at least one of those in each thread.

scottnlisa

I am in the same boat. I have ich. Already lost a tang and cllownfish. 2 tangs and clownfish has ich right now.

erifish3

Alright, I'm down to 2 eels and a lion, (friend took grouper and put it in his empty tank). Is there anything else that looks like ich?

al mc

Originally Posted by erifish3
http:///forum/post/3239365
Alright, I'm down to 2 eels and a lion, (friend took grouper and put it in his empty tank). Is there anything else that looks like ich?
Lymphocytosis will appear as white spots but if you look at some photos of the two diseases you will be able to spot differences. Beth has pictures of each in the archived files.

halamaya

no expert and could be wrong but i thought you had to go down to 1.009 and I thought if your above it at all it won't work. Like I said I'm no expert and don't know for sure. Look on Beth's thread to double check.

cranberry

Bring it down to 1.009 and get that temp down your causing the the ich cycle to speed up and you don't need that right now. How bad does he look? My volitans is in hypo right now.
1.009 still should have knocked it out by now in all honestly, unless we are just talking about just a couple of spots. The last time the volitans went through hypo, he still showed a couple of spots at week 3.

erifish3

Picked up a 40g tank today with overhang filter. Will be filling it up with water from DT and continue treatment there. Should I leave eels in DT or treat them as well. 40g is a tad bit too small for all 3 of them though (its all i could afford at this short notice). Any advice on setting up tank? Thanks in advance

erifish3

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3239481
Bring it down to 1.009 and get that temp down your causing the the ich cycle to speed up and you don't need that right now. How bad does he look? My volitans is in hypo right now.
1.009 still should have knocked it out by now in all honestly, unless we are just talking about just a couple of spots. The last time the volitans went through hypo, he still showed a couple of spots at week 3.
He has alot of white specks that come and go, is that normal for ich? One day he has a few and others he is pretty full of those specks.