Problem with my Teardrop Maxima - Help!

jpc763

I noticed this in this Clam's incurrent siphon a two weeks ago.

It was fine as far as opening and such, but today it did this.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? More importantly, is there anything I can do to save this guy?
Thanks, John

jackri

Unfortunately the pictures aren't working (work blocks most pictures here unless they are directly uploaded to the site).
Some more info would help though like...
Lighting?
Water flow?
Water parameters?
How long have you had the clam?
How big is it?

jpc763

Well whatever it was is not gone. I checked this morning expecting to see an empty shell and the clam was there looking normal. There does not appear to be anything coming out of the siphon anymore but the lights were not on so it was not really open yet.To answer the questions from above.
Tank
- 125g AGA - upgraded from 55g in Feb.
Lighting
- 3 x 250 MH - XM 10k bulbs. 1 new in 10/08 and 2 new in 1/09 - 2 x VHO Actinic
Flow
- 2 x Tunze 6000 with 7091 controller. Each alternate between 100% & 30% flow rate. Max flow rate per pump is 1849 gph. Return pump is a Rio 32HF with a flow of approx 1200 gph
Parameters
- 4/4 SG: 1.025; pH: 8.2; Ammonia: 0; Nitrite: 0; Nitrate: 0; PO: 0; dKh: 7; Calcium: 480
Clam
- Bought in July 2008 @ 2"; Today is approx 3"
Of note: The clam has never secured to any rock. Always has prefered the sand bed.
Thanks, J

nycbob

the white thing is its leg used to attach to the rock its on. sometimes clams will lose it. dont worry about it as long as the clam is opening and its mantle extended.

jpc763

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3020240
the white thing is its leg used to attach to the rock its on. sometimes clams will lose it. dont worry about it as long as the clam is opening and its mantle extended.
Cool. Kind of strange that it reversed it's byssal threads even though the byssal plug is in tact. But since it seems to be happy (although still hopping around in the sand... as it has for almost a year...) I am happy.
Originally Posted by jackri

http:///forum/post/3020283
Sounds like a nice tank -- hope all is well with your clam!
Thanks!

candycane

Looks like it's just expelling the byssal threads and plug through the incurrent siphon rather then shedding it off of the bottom; I see that a good deal. I've never seen it cause a problem. Just hopefully the surroundings are OK and nothing is bothering it? It may just be moving if it has grown a good deal.