problem with raising pH in reef

fishfreek

I've been using kent supper buffer dKH for buffing for over a year, and pH is a steady 8.0. How can i get it to 8.3? i've read that some ppl use baking soda to boost pH. Is this a good idea?
thanks,

nm reef

Myself I use seachem ph buffer ...it keeps my ph right at 8.3...I add 1 tablespoon per gal of ro/di and let it drip in the evening once a week...ph has never been a problem...I also use seachem advantage & builder for alkalinity & calcium (these 2 products I alternate daily)...I use the same mixture(1 teaspoon per gal)...also drip kalk nightly(about 1/2 gal each night)...I have absolutely no experience with kent products...but I am pleased with the ability of the seachem products to maintain the following
ph-8.3
calcium-420-450 ppm
alkalinity-2.8-3.5 meg/l :cool:

y2says

I have the same problem. I've heard that if the alkalinity is not right, the ph might fluctuate. Is this right?

rhearrel

I drip Kalkwasser every two days to keep Ph around 8.3 to 8.4 then use the Kent dKh buffer to keep alkalinity up to help stabilize the Ph throughout the day and night periods.
Good luck.

fishfreek

NMreef, the seachem buffer you mention is actually "Reef Buffer" right? I think i'll have to try switching brands from the Kent i am presently using. Everything in my tank is doing well exept new xenias aren,t pulsing fast and i think low pH is my problem.

I tested my PH just now, and it is at 8.8, is this going to be a problem? I drip Kalk constantly, very slowly, about a gallon a week. :eek:

sonny

Ph and alkalinity go hand in hand. If the ph is not coming up, you need to check the alkalinity. It should be 3.0 to 3.5 meq/l. If you use kalkwasser, it will help keep your akalinity up, but will tend to raise the ph more than you want if you use too much. Dosing it only at night will help that situation, since the ph naturally drops at night. A better solution is to use a two part calcium/carbonate buffer system like Kent tech C-B or Two little fishies C-balance. This system will raise alkalinity and calcium, without raising the ph too high. It can take a while to get the levels stable, but be patient.
Sonny

nm reef

Yes...the seachem products I use are reef buffer/reef advantage/reef builder...along with kalkwasser(balls pickeling lime) these are the only adatives I use :cool: