Problems with hair algae...

carp31

I have hair algae all over my live rock. I have had this problem for almost 8 months now. I sold all my corals to my friend to try chemicals to get rid of it. But it still comes back. I scrubbed all the rocks while they were in the tank and then did a 10 % water change. Still comes back two weeks later. My tank has been up for 3 years. Any ideas what I can do to get rid of the algae???
72 Bow Tank
Coralife light 2 65 watt atinic and 2 65 10,000
Rena XP3 Canister 175 GPH
CPR pak Skimmer
70 lb. live rock
2 power heads
9 watt uv sterilizer
Purple tang, Red sea salfin tang, Clown,
Green spotted goby, file fire fish?
Tank has been up since May 01'

carp31

I am using bottle water. I feed once a day towards night time. I started my tank with tap water 3 years a go. Then switched over to bottled water about a year a go.

kpk

I would say cut back on feeding to every other or even better every 3 days. I had a bad problem for about 5 months and I started feeding sparingly and got a refugium and everything is doing great...

carp31

Refugium is that a hang off the back one or underneath. What do you put in them again that attracts algae to them instead of the tank?
I will cut back on feeding. THe tangs can graze off the rock too.

carp31

What exactly is p04? I just buy bottled water at the grocery store. Should I get a specific brand that is better or cleaner than another?

kpk

I have a under tank refugium, and you put in macro algaes to suck out the nutrients from the water so the hair algae has nothing to feed on...

norcalreef

PO4=phosphate
hair algae use it to grow off of, have you bottled water tested for it. or else get a RO/Di unit to totally remove it.

norcalreef

you can buy macro algaes pretty much anywhere, SWF.com seels some kinds. Although I do not suggest you put them in your DT.

kpk

You can get caulerpa at the lfs sometimes in my area? ---- has some. The best you could get would be chaetamorpha (sp.)
it doesn't go sexual and crash...

kpk

Like NorCal said, go rubbermaid it's cheaper. Unless you have tanks setting around...lol

carp31

Would it work putting the macro in my canister? I just use it for a power head really. I put phosphate remover pads in there once in a while. Does not work.