Problems with sump tank/ Water level

jpwmlw51

My tank has been running good for about 5 weeks now and all has been well, but the last few days i have been having a new alarm clock. Almost like clock work i wake up to the sound of my return pump sucking air and blowing bubbles into the 150 gal tank. I run to get RO water thinking sump level is low but the issue is that the water is backing up at priotien filter. Should i replace this pad knowing how important it is to my cycle/system. My return pump is sucking water faster than the filter will let water filter thru. i have tried adjusting my sump to circ more water but all that does is more water backs up before draining into retrun section. Should i just arrange the pad/filter to allow more water thru or with that allow unfiltered water into my tank. i have searched other forums but as with all forums they are unorgainized and hard to get the information that you need. nothing against SWF.com message boards-most others are 10X's worse. thanks for the hlp. also, my photo wont show up in my threads, in profile just not on what i post. thx

mr_x

i'd remove the filter pad completely. could you explain your setup?
what size tank.
what size sump.
what size return pump.
what type(s) of filtration.
how much live rock.
protein skimmer?

jpwmlw51

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2620451
i'd remove the filter pad completely. could you explain your setup?
what size tank.
what size sump.
what size return pump.
what type(s) of filtration.
how much live rock.
protein skimmer?
Main tank 150 Gal-w/ Corner-Flo partition-48"L*30"H*24"W
25 gal sump-30"L*16"H*12"W
Supreme Magnetic drive utility pump(1200 GPH) with pre-filter
Coralife Super Skimmer w/ needle wheel for up to 220 Gal
90# LR in main tank-none in sump--do i need LR in sump?
Water Travel
1-Overflow down to sump into Mesh filter bag
2-Circulates thru Super Skimmer
3-Filters thru pad- 12"*4"*2"
4-Pump by return pump thru one Loc-line Nozzles into tank
(i know you know this cycle-just describing set-up)
also, do you think this creates enough current in my tank or should i add another bulk head?
Thx for you help Mr X

jpwmlw51

I want to add another 50# LR and was going to buy from SWF.com. LPS rubbed us the wrong way and dont deserve the thousands of dollars that we are prepaired to spend over the life of our new and exciting life/habitat/ecosystem we are creating. Should i get the Tukani Ultra Premium Live Rock 40-45 lbs or Ultra Premium Fiji Live Rock 45-50lbs?

mr_x

pick whatever live rock you like. as far as keepng live rock in the sump- you can't have too much live rock, unless your display is so jumbled up you have a bunch of dead spots where flow can't get to.
it certainly can't hurt to have a sump loaded with live rock.
if you are simply tossing this new addition of live rock in the sump, i'd buy the cheapest.
make sure you cycle that live rock in a separate container if you have any livestock in your main tank.
i would remove those filter pads completely- all of them. your filter sock is plenty, combined with your live rock and skimmer. that should solve your problem. also, i'd remove the sponge prefilter from the magdrive return as well,, unless it's there to stop a microbubble issue.
do you have any powerheads in the tank for flow besides the return? if not, i'd suggest some. i wouldn't increase the sump flow any more, but i'd definitely have a couple korailia 4's or something in my display.

jpwmlw51

Mr. X---where would you suggest that i put the powerheads(Return in rear left)? Should i go with 1 or 2? when it too much? What kind of flow direction should i concentrate on? Should flow go round and round or should i disturb this flow and have powerhead pointing in different directions?
I removed filter pad and water level seems better but i left the sponge prefilter b/c once i removed both pads/filters i had lots of microbubbles. do you think that this was caused by just removing pad filters? and would maybe clear up over time? Meaning that i can remove magdrive prefilter later?
What kind of level should i hold in my skimmer Cone? right now it is just over midway in collection cup cone. Also, bubbling is coming out of output tubing of skimmer and with filters removed is what i think caused microbubbles in display tank.
If i want to have a larger display of LR would you suggest not putting LR in sump or as you stated, " never too much LR"?
One last question(for this message anyway). My overflow assembly(U-shape running full height of tank, w/straw and two holes on side) seems to get air trapped in it which causes loud bubbling ever so often. I understand some bubbling but the erratic behavior along with my knowledge of volumetrics tells me that i could solve this problem but fear going too far(i realize anything can be fixed, but you understand "measure twice, cut once") it seems to collect bubbles and hold water in suspension then "dump" water down to filter sock area. My thought is that if i stop this i would have a smoother running system of flow rather than the erratic behavior discussed. I would also think the flow should be more like a waterfall with water "rolling" over barriers, like the water now in my sump once filter pad was removed. Just to better describe, the plumbing from under tank to the sump tank (1-1/2" tubing) moves around(or jumps, wiggles, etc.) more than expected.
MR. X i sure appreciate your time and effort. I wish i had knowledge to pass along to you to help you out, but unless you have a question about "how to drill an oil & gas well" or a better way to please your woman(not saying you don't or can't or even want to) but those are all i know. LOL!!!. Thanks again MR. X talk soon. could i see a pic of your set-up?

prime311

I'd go with 2 Powerheads at least. More less powerful powerheads is better then less more powerful ones. It allows you direct your flow better. In terms of placement, you want them flowing in such a way as to cause disturbance on your surface water as well as enough flow along your rock to keep particles suspended while also not disturbing your substrate. There is no 1 way to point powerheads, it depends a lot on your tank. I have 2 Koralia 4's on my 125 6" down and pointed slightly up and at each other. Then my returns from my sump point slightly down.
The overflow shouldn't be getting air stuck in the utube. If they are, you need a stronger return pump or smaller utube.
More LR in the display is fine, as long as your not restricting water flow too much it should be no problem. You can easily have 200+ lbs. LR in a 150 gallon. The one thing you want to make sure of is to not get dieoff when you put the LR in the tank otherwise you'll get a mini cycle which could damage your livestock.
Sorry, I can't comment on the skimmer as I'm not familiar with that one in particular.