Progress on my 180

ebsochin

Well, this tank started over a year ago, but unfortunately I had a lot of hiccups along the way. It oringinally started as a FOWLR because I couldn't afford the lighting for corals, but after a major disaster this past winter while I was deployed in Iraq. (pump failing and sump flooding my house) I started over and now it is starting to become some what of a beautiful reef. I was able to purchase the lighting needed plus replace a few of the items that failed. Here is a list of what I've got. Any suggestions for additions would be greatly appreciated, plus any comments on the tank.
180 gal glass aquarium with dual overflows
CPR3000 wet/dry sump
Dolphin Amp Master 3000 return pump
Top Fathom Skimmer with Mag7 pump
72" lighting canopy with 2 double ended HQI 250W 10,000k Ushio bulbs, 4 160W VHO actintic bulbs, 2 icecap lunar ligths
Wave 2K wave maker
2 Zoo Med powerheads
Penguin 660 powerhead
2 Titanium heaters
250lbs LS
Your guess is as good as mine as far as how much LR (Approximately 200lbs)
Live Stock
Sailfin Tang
Hippo Tang
Foxface
5 Yellow/Black Stripped Damsels
3 Green Chromis
Watchman Goby
Manderin Goby
2 Percula Clowns
Blue leg Hermits
Zebra Hermits
Green Brittle Star
Another Star (not sure what type, similar to brittle)
Flower Pot Anenome
Clam (not sure what type)
Xenia
Green Star Polyp
Morph Mushroom rock
Blue Mushrooms
Zoos (not very happy)
Finger Leather (not very happy)
Toadstool Leather (not very happy)
Red/Green Brain
Ruffled Leather
Button Polyps
2 Gorgonian sponge
I think that is everything. Anyway, thought I would share my progress with everyone. Enjoy.

ebsochin

another - If anyone has some suggestions for the finger leather at the bottom, I am more than willing to listen. He was thriving in my 75, but ever since I moved him, He is not the same. I figured I would give it some time before I freak out.

ebsochin

How do you like the Wave2k?
It actually does a great job. Although I think I'm going to get another center unit and put it on the left side of the tank. I don't much care for the power heads. It also took a while to break in as far as figuring out how to keep it quiet, but now it just runs great. The gentleman who invented it is very helpful as well. I was missing some parts when I purchased it and there is a phone # and address you can contact him personaly. I will say it is a bit pricy, but well worth the $$ spent.

dogstar

ebsOCHIN,

Your tank looks very nice. I have a 180g reef also and really love it. Thanks for your service and sorry about the mishaps. All sounds good to me .........uh.....only.....uh...I would replace the wet/dry with or at least just add a refugium, I have one and think its nessesery for the stablelization of any system.

ebsochin

I would replace the wet/dry with or at least just add a refugium, I have one and think its nessesery for the stablelization of any system.
Dogstar- I only have a small understanding of refugiums. From what I know it is basically another tank/sump that you add to the system that grows macro algae to disolve nitrates, breed pods, etc. Am I correct?:notsure: If you could explain how you have yours' set up that would help. I don't plan on getting rid of the wet/dry as it is a great filtration system.
I am imagining that you would have your return pump from the sump feed into the refugium and then the water from the refugium flow into the main tank. Is that correct? Anyway, just some questions. Thanks for the compliments on the tank. I know it has a long way to go and I have my eye on several new inhabitants, both coral and fish.
I'm thinking about a sohol tang, flameback angel, royal gramma, and some more inverts. As far as corals, a plate, torch, some more zoos since I don't think mine are going to pull through, maybe a bubble, and another frogspawn. (one of the casualties of Hurricane Isabel).

druluv

Just Curious, How comes you didn't put the wave2k on the back wall? I have one too, and I love it. :jumping: One of the closest thing to oceans waves. Well worth the money when you are able to quiet the unit down.

ebsochin

Just Curious, How comes you didn't put the wave2k on the back wall?
Simple really, to much rock in the way, and my return plumbing was built before I got the wave 2K so that is in the way as well.

dogstar

OCHIN, Many ways to set up fuges, Just search thru equipment and DIY threads. I took the bioball box off my old w/d and use it w/ my sump fuge. I have a thread somewhere in photo forum titled MY 180 Reef that shows my goodies:D I have 5 yellows tangs plus others that add nice color and movement. Two tomatoe clowns for nice splash of red but see you already have percs. And a flame angle too. I like my Square Spot Anthia alot. I'll post a pic of the tangs. They like haveing there pic took. Cleaner shrimp would be a good idea for more inverts I have 4. Try your zoos in a low light area and plates are hard to keep for anyone. Branching frogs and torches and the like are easy. Big polyps like Brains and bubbles, pearls are cool, if you look around find then w/ nice colors. Maybe think about a colorfull anemone. Well it takes time, keep up the good work...

ebsochin

Dogstar- That is an awesome pic!! My wife always wanted a purple tang, but since I already had the sailfin and hippo I was to nervous on putting another tang in there. Plus I didn't want the Tang Police to show up!!

Now that everyone is in the larger tank I think it might work, but I'm still not sure. I figured the sohol would be alright because it would be one of the last fish introduced. What would be your opinion on adding 2 maroon clowns with ofcourse an anenome to for them. I want to get a nice size rose anenome. The LFS in Va Beach has a tank full of them. A little pricy, but those things are bea-u-t-ful!:) I almost picked up a long tentacle anenome the other day when I got the brain, but decided against it as I wasn't sure how much roaming it would do.
I've been waiting for some cash inflow to order some more inverts from this site. I've ordered in the past and they ship out some quality stuff. Prices are good too.
As far as the zoos, do they need high or moderate water flow?
I also have been looking for a nice colt. I had an incredible one in my 75gal but it too perished from the hurricane. Anyway, thanks for the help and I will look into the fuge!

acrylic51

I would honestly think twice about putting 2 maroon clowns in a tank... They are very territorial and you'll probably have some problems down the road!!!!

ebsochin

acrylic51- Thanks for the advice. I wanted to put a couple more clowns in, but wasn't sure what type. I thought maybe some more percs but I really like the maroons. We'll see. Thanks again.

dogstar

Yep, hard to keep two different sp. of clowns in the same tank but you could try, Maroons will probly kill the Percs. If you want, look for a very large and a very small maroon and they will probly pair up. They host most BTAs.