promoting mushroom growth

P

pakman

I am wondering what has worked for people as far is promoting the growth of mushrooms.
Ive read that they need meaty foods, what does that mean?
also what suppliments promte growth,
note i do not have very powerful lighting

coral boy

Mushrooms don't need a lot of light. I feed mine Krill, squid and silversides I now have 5-6 that are 5" round

P

pakman

so when placing them in a tank is it better to put them in a place away from direct light.

newfishliny

Originally posted by coral boy
Mushrooms don't need a lot of light. I feed mine Krill, squid and silversides I now have 5-6 that are 5" round

how do you feed them , just add into tank or use a dropper
thanks
don LINY

salth2o

I slice my mushrooms in half with a clean new razor. I keep cutting them all the time. I have a nice healthy colony of blue/green, green, red/red orange, & green metalic hair mushrooms.

coral boy

When i feed my mushrooms I hold the food over the top of them and they will close up around the the food it takes a little time for them to to close but they will

db

In my opinion there is three key elements to having your mushrooms reproduce like crazy. Decent lighting, addition of phytoplankton to your tank, and the addition of iodide. Ever since I started dosing iodide my mushrooms reproduce like crazy.

mlm

I second that Iodine does make the split on their own. I had a colony of about 10 mushrooms and I started to add combisan which containes iodine to the tank and after 5 or 6 weeks the mushrooms had split and there was small ones starting to sprout up.

entice59

i tried ripping apart a mushroom... nothing yet.. i guess you do have to cut it a certain way, i just dont want to get rush on my scissors

quazi

everyt time I trim back my 'shrooms from my SPS, they re-generate and the "trash" makes new 'shrooms. I quit using iodine so they will calm down.
Beware, they can be come weeds :eek:

c_bell

Well you really do learn something new everyday. I did know you had to feed mushrooms, i have several in my tank :eek:

eng50

Quazi, I am in VA, Richmond, if you ever want to frag any of those shrooms, please let me know, Ill come get them!!! Don't throw them away!! Thanks..
Bill
804-339-2984

dfishh

how can u tell if shrooms r splitting, does it happen gradually, cuz i hav i guess a small colony, and theres one huge one, and around it i see extremely small ones, like 1 cm in diameter
soooooo any thoughts?
DAVE

mlm

The ones that I have kind of move their stalk along the rock and it leaves part of itself behind. This part grows into a new mushroom.