Propagating Xenia

pbuckler

Does anyone have any hints or tricks to get the newly cut Xenia growing faster? Any supplements you might suggest would be appreciated.

fishfreek

I add iodine (1/2 reccomended amount) to my tank. It is debated weather it really helps or not, but IMO it seems to help all my softies. Also, strong light will help them spread. Other than that, just give it time. HTH

von_rahvin

they like current. if they are being thrashed around they are happy. I have my main group of xenia right in the way fo my return pump. looks like they are getting beatin up all day long but the suckers grow faster than anything!

blackdog

I added Kent Tech-I iodine to my tank for the first time three days ago, and my xenia frag (in tank for about 10 days) is noticeably larger. I still haven't settled into a regular supplement routine, but it appears the iodine has made a big difference.

blondenaso1

It has been found that iodine concentrations directly affect the pulse rate of xenia. You can even just apply iodine dirrectly over the polyps. You will notice that they will start to pulse more in sync. I just got a colony about 10 days ago and they are not doing as good as I would like them to be doing. I haven't found a spot in the tank where they really thrive. I have heard that current is more important then lighting. Is right in the path of a powerhead really the best place?

fishfreek

I keep my xenia in medium current and they seem very happy and pulse quickly. :) IMO, i don't think they should be placed directly in strong current. This will cause the heads to really whip around fast and you won't be able to see it pulse.

kris walker

Although high current is also good, I agree with fishfreak. I think it is better to have them in a medium to low current area, because then you can actually see the pulsing rather than the current whipping. I have mine in a low current area and they are pulsing and multiplying like crazy. My wife loves watching the pulsing (and she convinced me not to move to strong current area).
Also, be careful with dosing iodine. If there is too much, it can have an adverse effect on xenia from what I have read.
I have observed that Kent's Coral Accel once a day seems to make the xenia fingers fan out like thick eyelashes. Very beautiful and healthy looking.
Finally, if you want to spread them throughout your tank, best way is to move a little LR piece of rubble next to a xenia that has two stalks attached to a main base. Then over a period of a week say, it will partially move one of the stalks over to the other rock. When it starts taking too long, you can complete the process with a razor, but not before at least half of the stalk is attached to hte new rock.
good luck,
kris

I use to add iodine but now no more, xenia got spoiled and growing like weed, flushed some in the toilet..yellow polyps are now like weed...

slk's reef

Why did you flush some of the xenia????? You could of just traded it to the LFS and get some credit instead of killing the coral.