Proper Calibration of a Refractometer

bonebrake

I just wanted to post this for everyone's edification because I recently learned this myself.
Only a lab-grade quality refractometer can get away with being calibrated with distilled water or RO/DI water. The cheap ones we use in this hobby (less than $100) can still be inaccurate when you use distilled or RO/DI water to calibrate. For example: say each increment is off +/- 0.0001. You would think this would not be a big deal, but when you calibrate at 1.000 s.g. and then go all the way up to measure your saltwater at an s.g. of 1.025-1.026 that +/- 0.0001 per unit of 0.001 is now a total margin of error of +/- 0.002. So your saltwater could actually be anywhere from 1.023-1.028!
It turns out I had been keeping my water at 1.027-1.028 all of this time when I intended to keep it at 1.025-1.026. A month ago a reef buddy of mine told me about all of this and he had a standardized solution that has an s.g. of 1.025 at room temperature of 72 *F and I calibrated my refractometer to that so it would be right on.
Does it really matter if your refractometer is off? No, but it is nice to have it be as accurate as possible so you're at least keeping your s.g. where you think you are.
:joy:

tx reef

The salt/brine refractometers that we use are not made specifically for seawater.
They have an extremely small (for our purposes) margin of error in the range we actually use it in. But when you calibrate it at 1 (far away from the target 35), the error increases.
Example....the margin of error when checking between 1.023 & 1.028 is roughly .0002. This error increases to .002 when calibrating at 1 and then going all the way to 1.026...so you could be at either 1.024 or 1.028.
The only way to be really accurate is to buy a calibrating solution that will allow you to calibrate the refractometer closer to the range you will be using it (you can find them online and they are not real expensive).
If you don't want to buy the solution, calibrate it at 1 (0) and then mix your water at 1.026 (35) and you will be at either 1.024 or 1.028. As long as you keep it constant, you will be fine.

earlybird

Very interesting. What specifically should I google? Just tried "refractometer calibration solution" and "fluid" and got something but can't seem to sort through it easily. Thanks

earlybird

I bought some calibration fluid last night. Thanks for pointing this out. If I have a refractometer I want to make sure it's dead on.

moneyman

Once a year or so, I make a DIY calibration fluid using table salt and a 2L coke bottle. Look for that article written by Randy Holmes-Farley.