Proper feeding?

carp31

How often should you feed your fish? I get a lot of different opinions. I have a 125 Gallon FOWLR.

alix2.0

i feed every other day, rotating between regular flakes, frozen mysis, and like... chunks. im not sure what theyre called.
some fish need fed alot more than that though, what fish are in your tank?

carp31

I have a emporer and a clown fish. I am just restocking. The tank has been up for years. I am just wonder how often I should feed.

sepulatian

I feed once per day. How much rock do you have and how mature is it? Angels should be fed twice a day at least. Do small feedings. Your fish should eat all of the food within a few minutes. If things are still floating around then you are feeding too much. Feed what what your fish can consume in under three minutes.

carp31

Originally Posted by sepulatian
I feed once per day. How much rock do you have and how mature is it? Angels should be fed twice a day at least. Do small feedings. Your fish should eat all of the food within a few minutes. If things are still floating around then you are feeding too much. Feed what what your fish can consume in under three minutes.
I have right around 250 lb. of live rock. It has been in the tank for a good 3 years if not more. What is the best food for the Emporer? I just got him today from this site. I am doing acclimation now. Wow! What a beautiful fish! I will take some pictures and post them later.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Carp31
I have right around 250 lb. of live rock. It has been in the tank for a good 3 years if not more. What is the best food for the Emporer? I just got him today from this site. I am doing acclimation now. Wow! What a beautiful fish! I will take some pictures and post them later.
Like sepulatian said, angels need to be fed at least twice a day. They should have some greens available at most times; they need to eat a lot of veggies to get the nutrition.How big is the Emperor? Still a juvi? I got a juvi Emperor from here when they had the Hawaiian variety a while back. Magnificent fish and a great eater. These fish get big and need lots to eat while growing. Lots of green stuff, grazing on LR, algae sheets, nori, dried seaweed (even romaine, in a pinch) and meaty stuff. Formula II is a great frozen food for them. I've raised several large angels from juvi to adult and its a great experience. These fish will often eat anything; but NEED lots of greens. Using selcon, or a similar vitamin, will help keep them in peak color as they go thru color change. Keep us posted, this is a great fish, and not that hard to keep if you maintain pristine water and proper feeding.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by stdreb27
what is the difference between nori and algea sheets? I thought they were the same.
I guess, not much. By fresh, I mean the stuff you get in oriental markets, or large grocery stores. The sheets I use are processed algae (green, purple, or red.) by Ocean Nutrition or Julian Sprung..

carp31

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Like sepulatian said, angels need to be fed at least twice a day. They should have some greens available at most times; they need to eat a lot of veggies to get the nutrition.How big is the Emperor? Still a juvi? I got a juvi Emperor from here when they had the Hawaiian variety a while back. Magnificent fish and a great eater. These fish get big and need lots to eat while growing. Lots of green stuff, grazing on LR, algae sheets, nori, dried seaweed (even romaine, in a pinch) and meaty stuff. Formula II is a great frozen food for them. I've raised several large angels from juvi to adult and its a great experience. These fish will often eat anything; but NEED lots of greens. Using selcon, or a similar vitamin, will help keep them in peak color as they go thru color change. Keep us posted, this is a great fish, and not that hard to keep if you maintain pristine water and proper feeding.
Thanks for the info. i will make sure to feed him like you said. He is an adult a good 6" long. Very colorful. He still has not eaten but swimming good and checking out the tank.

sepulatian

That fish is gorgeous!!!!There are frozen Angel formulas which are based on the needs of angels. Pick up some. They contain all that an angel needs. The other fish will enjoy it as well. I hope that he does well for you!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by sepulatian
That fish is gorgeous!!!!There are frozen Angel formulas which are based on the needs of angels. Pick up some. They contain all that an angel needs. The other fish will enjoy it as well. I hope that he does well for you!

Right, I forgot my favorite, along with Formula II; Hikari mega-angel--its loaded with sponge and an easy frozen food to use, very little gunk & excess moisture.

carp31

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Right, I forgot my favorite, along with Formula II; Hikari mega-angel--its loaded with sponge and an easy frozen food to use, very little gunk & excess moisture.
I bought some formula II and soaked it in Garlic Guard. He didn't eat it. He might of picked at it later but not right away. I put some seaweed select in and he ate that right away. He is a very active fish and is swimming all over the tank.

srfisher17

I bought some formula II and soaked it in Garlic Guard. He didn't eat it. He might of picked at it later but not right away. I put some seaweed select in and he ate that right away. He is a very active fish and is swimming all over the tank.
Great! Seaweed Select is great stuff, made by the same company as Form.II; I believe.

carp31

I have tried different frozen angel food and my emporer is swimming up to it but not eating it. He pigs out on the seaweed selects I feed him. How can I get him to eat something else? I want to keep him healthy - will seaweed selects keep him healthy?

srfisher17

I have tried different frozen angel food and my emporer is swimming up to it but not eating it. He pigs out on the seaweed selects I feed him. How can I get him to eat something else? I want to keep him healthy - will seaweed selects keep him healthy?
The Seaweed selects should be fine until he starts to eat other stuff as well. Give him some time; and hold back his favorite for a few days, after he's had some more time to get comfortable. These are bold fish and will usually eat anything, once they're settled in. These fish are omnivores and should have come meaty items as well as greens. But don't panic if it takes a while ; at least he's eating.(Ocean Nutrition, makers of Form I & II; make a grid-type feeder for these frozen foods that lets the fish graze on the stuff, might be worth a try--my Angels & butterflys nibble at the cube all day.)

carp31

The emporer is doing great. he is eating everything now!
What would be some good fish to add to the tank with the emporer? I have just a clown with him now.

sepulatian

What tangs would do good with a emporer? Would yellows fight with it?
No, the angel is in there first. The YT would be fine. You could add any tang that you would like with him. Issues come up when you add tangs after the other tangs have established their territory, but they get along in the end. Be sure to qt any tang and be sure that his immune system is high (after a lengthly qt or hypo) and whatever tangs you add will be able to handle a little chasing just fine