Proposal to increase taxes on beer, wine, soft drinks

al mc

Senate Finance Committee is discussing large tax increases on beer, wine, hard liqour and sugar containing soft drinks. Their theory: These products cause increases in obesity, diabetes, cancers and psychological issues.
Tax increase would be used to help pay for increasing health care costs...
As CFR would say.....discuss

ruaround

liquor,beer and wine is already taxed too much!!!
i say go ahead and tax the heck outta soft drinks... their theories are correct... horrible stuff for a person... now studies are showing that diet soft drinks are even worse than the ones with natural sweeteners... imagine something artificial being worse for a human than something natural...

dragonzim

Why the hell not? If the government can double the taxes on the cigars that I like to smoke to pay for healthcare for kids that arent even in my area then they can and should tax the hell out of alcohol for the same thing

al mc

A little more info: Wine producers are mad because wine has some 'medicinal value' and therefor should be exempt from further increases in tax.................and sugar free soft drinks would not have a tax increase under this proposal

aquaknight

No horrible idea. Less government is better government. If people want to drink sodas and weigh 300lbs let them. Same for cigarettes. They shouldn't be taxed the way they are now anyways. If someone wants to light up, let they get lung cancer....
However if it becomes your problem/they're smoking around your kid, go punch them in the face. That should be the only tax they need....

ruaround

all alcohol has medicinal properties... use enough of it and it causes procreation...
all soft drinks should be taxed...

stdreb27

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3047060
Why the hell not? If the government can double the taxes on the cigars that I like to smoke to pay for healthcare for kids that arent even in my area then they can and should tax the hell out of alcohol for the same thing
So we should repeat the same mistake again, because we are already doing it in another area...

flower

The govenmet just wants more money and they will use any excuse they can get away with. They don't pay our medical, we pay out the nose for it ourselves.
Those with insurance pays for those who have none...That is why my insurance pays $190 per doctor visit, + I pay $20.00 copay... Those without insurance pay only $60.00 per visit to the same doctor. Same with eyeglasses.
To be honest the government is crying because the babyboomers are living to long, and breaking the retirement fund limits.
The longer we live the worse it is for government, they hope on us never getting back the amount we have paid in. Now they want to vetch and moan that we are not living long enough and needing medical attention because of soda pop! So a tax is suppose to fix all this...HAH!
Sure, they also tax the sunshine for those wih solar energy, and at the same time say we are consumming too much gas and electric that we are not taking care of the planet...It is all a bunch of bull dooky

renogaw

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3047042
sugar containing soft drinks.
when did sugar start containing soft drinks???
i love how they want to tax soda with sugar in it... why do they allow aspartame in our food when that is one brazilian times worse than sugar

reefraff

THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T NEED ANY MORE MONEY
This is just another one of their divide and conquer moves. If they get away with this next time it will be salty snacks and bottled water because too much salt is bad for you and buying water in bottles is bad for the environment. I predicted this way back when they did the first bit cigarette tax increase.
Welcome to liberal utopia.
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the Communist SOB :)

flower

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3047199
when did sugar start containing soft drinks???
i love how they want to tax soda with sugar in it... why do they allow aspartame in our food when that is one brazilian times worse than sugar

Because they want us to die...that way they don't have to pay out for our SS retirement, and they can get xtra money from the "sugar" tax. For them it's a win-win situation

uneverno

I'd like to see the text of the bill w/ regard to sugar.
Does it differentiate between Sucrose (a natural product derived from sugar cane) and High Fructose Corn Syrup™ (an artificial product developed and patented by Monsanto from genetically modified corn)?
As for the revenues benefitting those whom the products are alleged to harm?

If they indeed did, yet another tax break for the rich (in this case Health Insurers.)
Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Blue Cross/shield, Aetna, Kaiser, et al. being in favor of this while simultaneously opposing socialized medicine...

zelfin

Health Care? tax Soda and Alcohol? secure the borders.
Illegal immigrants cause more drain on our health system than working americans who are paying for their healthcare. Also before this argument starts. They are no more "Undocumented Workers" than drug dealers are "Unlicensed Pharmacists".
That said who cares if they tax soda. Who cares if they tax alcohol. Taxes are going to go up. Complaining about it and fighting will accomplish nothing. America is becoming a land of servants. The people are here to make money for the politicians. If you doubt this just look at the salaries they make. Then look at their bank statements. How does an entire class of people have 10 times their income banked? (yes this is a completely made up number) When you figure that out you will have your answers.

stdreb27

This is kind of funny considering the amount of money we pay to subsidize the sugar industry to begin with.

mantisman51

As stated, this has nothing to do with healthcare and more to do with raising taxes without paying the political price for it. If they are trully so concerned about this, why not prohibit the purchase of sugar and fat loaded items with food stamps and ebt cards that EVERY welfare addict I see in stores have filled in their carts? Oh wait, no tax money to collect there. So, let the fat welfare bums drink their Coke and eat their Twinkies. Just suck more money out of working people.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3047200
THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T NEED ANY MORE MONEY
This is just another one of their divide and conquer moves. If they get away with this next time it will be salty snacks and bottled water because too much salt is bad for you and buying water in bottles is bad for the environment. I predicted this way back when they did the first bit cigarette tax increase.
Welcome to liberal utopia.
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for the Communist SOB :)
I could not agree more.
Besides, if they raise the tax on alcohol then I will have to get a third job

Kidding kidding...kinda

t316

I can see how easy it is for those not affected by something to jump on the bandwagon and say "tax it". Personally, I partake in most all of the above mentioned, and before now have not totally been against a "slight" increase in taxes in those "sin tax" areas, if that's what will help out the local community. BUT...This is getting freakin' rediculous.
Why don't they tax all parents in the maternity ward who are not married? Hey, this money can go towards "teen pregnancy prevention". Doesn't matter if they were teens, or some dude cheating on his wife....If you are not married to the woman giving birth...TAX it will be. For that matter, tax all those that curse in public
. I damn sure could prove where that does just as much harm to my 6 yr. old verses him seeing someone take a drink. I can see it now..."Cursing only BARS".

dragonzim

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3047084
So we should repeat the same mistake again, because we are already doing it in another area...

My point was that as a cigar smoker we are being unfairly singled out. If they want to tax one vice, tax all of them equally.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3047407
My point was that as a cigar smoker we are being unfairly singled out. If they want to tax one vice, tax all of them equally.
so if I'm getting screwed, I should support someone else getting screwed...

reefraff

everyone is part of some minority regarding some aspect of their lives. I am one of the few people who isn't really effected by the taxes proposed but give them enough time and they will get to me at some point. By the time they are done levying sin taxes perhaps people will finally understand that taxes were raised on about everyone in the country except for the parasite losers who are not smart enough to figure out that people like Obama need them poor and stupid so they can be exploited for political gain.