pros or cons to a corner tank

K

knight03

The wife said I will have to save room and get a corner tank. What are the pros and cons? Cons are price so far :notsure:

katz

I have a corner tank and my personal con is the lack of space for corals. I am in the process of upgrading to a 125g rec.
I would go with the largest corner tank that you can afford. I do like the room that they save and the look of them.
I would go with what your wife wants because you are getting into a very expensive but rewarding hobby.
Katz

millerman

i had a corner tank and was trying to get every thing together.
my problem was the filtration i would want my tank against the was or close to it but couldnt do it, also you may have to use a pendant light to have corals

dma57

I have a 54 corner and I love it. One draw back is that it is not drilled so I am running 2 cascade 1200 canisters on it and my water quality is perfect. As for lighting I have a 24 inch Aqualight Pro w/250 MH that I hangs from the ceiling right over the center about 8 inches above the water which is more than enough light for my corals. I would have loved to have the 90 gal but the corner wasn't big enough for it.

K

knight03

II was told by the LFS that all i would need is a proetein skimmer for filtration. Is that going to be enough?

yimmy

A protien skimmer is the essential part of filtration but I wouldn't rely on just that. Many people do. I would also get a sump if you could and have a refugium too to cut down nitrates.

cymbal67

i have a 118g corner, has had water in it for 9 days.
the cons are limited space underneath for fuge (i had one custom made to fit the dimensions of the space to maximize room under there). also, limited space up top for lighting, but i got the coralife retro fit kit and was able to get it to fit. i had to keep it less than 24" long and 15" wide to still be able to open lid on canopy. but it has 1 150w HQI MH 2 65w actinics and 2 moon lights. the ballasts are external so they are not in the canopy. you can get one with a 250w MH as well, but i went with the 150w for now.
great place for corner tank is 4fishtank dot com comes predrilled and the finish on these are beautiful.
you will want to have a refugium. i fit a 30 gallon fuge, an aqua c 120 skimmer and a 1/4 horsepower chiller under there (which i probably wont need till summer) and i just added a phos-reactor filter off the side of the fuge.
i would have gone with a reg. shape tank but the only spot wife wouldnt freak out on me was in a corner in my computer room and a rectangle tank in a corner just didnt look right. and it does look really cool and its 30" deep so lots of room for corals. its almost 6 feet from one side to the other, so tang police wont mind a yellow tang in there either.
i'm at work right now so cant post pics, but look for thread started by cymbal67 photo diary of getting started and you can see it.

nigerbang

Got a 92 corner. They only con like posted before is limited space underneath..although I do have a monster wet/dry the skimmer and 2 pumps are in the sump..I think I could jam a 30gal fuge underthere...behind the W/D..hmmm might just try that.

fgcu14

I wish I would have known about corner tanks when I was in the market for my 46. I think they are awsome! Although my bowfront is pretty cool too.