Protain Skimmer

S

steve620

I have a 65 gallon tank. I have a Protain Skimmer in the bottom tank. It seems that the skimmer is filling up faster than it did before. I have to mt it everyday, is there something wrong?

snakeblitz33

I'm not familiar with that particular protein skimmer brand. Is Protain a new one on the market?
1. Read your protein skimmers instruction booklet cover to cover.
2. Make sure your airline is completely clear of all debris and free of kinks.
3. Adjust your pumps intake with a ball valve.
4. Adjust your air intake with a john geist fitting.
5. Adjust your protein skimmers output with a ball valve.
3-5 will increase or decrease the water line in your protein skimmer.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389034/protain-skimmer#post_3435055
I'm not familiar with that particular protein skimmer brand. Is Protain a new one on the market?
1. Read your protein skimmers instruction booklet cover to cover.
2. Make sure your airline is completely clear of all debris and free of kinks.
3. Adjust your pumps intake with a ball valve.
4. Adjust your air intake with a john geist fitting.
5. Adjust your protein skimmers output with a ball valve.
3-5 will increase or decrease the water line in your protein skimmer.
Snake, I think he just mis-spelled "protein". LOL.

S

steve620

Can the pump for the protein skimmer sit on the bottom of the tank? I have no directions for the skimmer it was given to me. Someone told me it should only be about 4" below the surface?

mr. limpid

The color of the mixture that you are dumping out is thick and dark or runny and clear? If it is dark then its fine if it clear then you have to much flow.

noobzilla

I've got my pump sitting at the bottom of my sump and it works fine, however there's no sand or anything in the chamber it sits in. Is your in the tank itself, sitting on the sand? The directions with mine say to put the pump about 4" down from the top of the tank, if it's used as a HOB. I get a nice thick green skimmate running it like that. Haven't had any brown stuff yet, mainly light or dark green, depending on the dial.

S

steve620

Its not thick its just like Light Brown water not thick at all. The pump is sitting on the bottom of my sump, no sand on bottom at all. My protein pump is sitting in the chamber where my sock is.

mr. limpid

Sound like you have to much flow, causing the runny mixture. you need to reduce the flow so the bubbles chamber can make a thick froth.

noobzilla

I was just about to clean mine, so I snapped a pic.

I've got my pump outside the sock, if that makes any difference.