protein skimmer a must?

gli0sca

hey everyone, ive had my tank for about a month now. i currently have a penguin 350 filter, with a Hydor Koralia 2 PH. is a protein skimmer a must or can i wait a bit? i plan on a aqua-c remora but shopping around a bit. about 20 lbs live rock, 3 clowns, 3 banggai cardinals, 6 astriea snails and 3 cleaner shrimp are currently in there. i guess my question is, is it crucial i get one now or can it wait a week or so?? its a 55 gallon tank. sorry if it sounds stupid, im new to this hobby and just starting to get addicted and i dont wanna screw it up. also, any more input would be greatly appreciated. ill try to get some pics up soon for everyone to see.
thanks

jordan3548

some will say its a must some will say its not IMO I've had saltwater tanks for the past 6 years and have never had a protein skimmer and I have never had any problems I have corals and everything and its all very healthy.

salt life

people run tanks skimmerless so you will be fine. just don't be heavy on the feeding and do your water changes.

king_neptune

people ran tanks w/out skimmers for decades(actually saltwater reef keeping dates back a few hundred years...jsut not much success). Skimmers are just one of those inventions that people like. However they are not the end all be all, its just trendy to use them....not without reason, a skimmer is a fine addition, not a vital one.
You can function fine without one using other filtration methods and most importantly... water changes.
Honestly having a skimmer is a good idea, but if your wallet is telling you not to get one....thats fine. You can function till you can afford one. Insert any other reason, the end result is the same.
I currently have a skimmer that I don't intend to use till i start having trouble with my water parameters. Ill hold out as long as I can.
Hope this helps.

gli0sca

hey, thanks for the quick replies guys, appreciate it. i should be getting one in the next few weeks, so it shouldnt be a problem!

deejeff442

i have been running my 90 reef for over 15 yrs without a skimmer.
i keep meaning to get one but never gotten around to it.
just keep up with water changes .