Protein Skimmer and Ca levels?

mony97

I have been doing a little bit of research and have been unable to find out for sure if running a protein skimmer effects Ca levels in the water?
I know regular water changes will replenish Ca in my tank but am asking because ever since I killed my lights for 4 days to finally get rid of the cyano on my sand bed my coralline algae seems to be fading, not fast and not dying but dull and in some spots disappearing.
And if this makes a difference I did just replace my lights a few days ago.. Maybe this is the culprit?

nanomantis

Your skimmer will have no effect on your Ca levels. Instead I would look to the fact that you had your lights off for 4 days, depriving the algae of its food source; where if you managed to starve the cyano you starved the coralline as well. In addition its possible your alkalinity has dropped; it is one of the most common reasons for sudden disappearances of coralline.

cranberry

Also, if you had cyano, your tank is a little rich in nutrients and that can impede coralline as well.

mony97

Huh I did not know either of those ;) Outside of frequent water changes what is the best way to boost Ca and alkalinity levels back up to allow for healthy coralline growth? maybe Purple Up?