Protein Skimmer and Nitrates

mnieder

I added a protein skimmer 2 days ago. When I added it the nitrate levels were at 20 ppm. After 24 hours the collection cup was full of nasty smelly liquid. It has been 48 hours and no more bubbles are going into the collection cup. My nitrates are now at 0. Is the reason for the stop of bubble in the cup because there are no nitrates in the tank?

C

cmaxwell39

Protien skimmers do not directly remove nitrates. They do remove dissolved organics before they break down and enter the nitrogen cycle (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). If all of the dissolved organics are gone then the skimmer will stop producing until there is something there to remove.

teen

no. have you tried fine tuning the skimmer at all? theres normally a break in period on skimmers and after that break in they need to be adjusted. keep the neck of the collection cup clean as well. if too much debris accumulates, IME, the skiimate tends to have a harder time making its way up the neck and into the actual collection cup.
plenty of people run 0 nitrates and their tanks can still produce a good 1/4 cup of skimmate a day.

btldreef

What type of skimmer are you running?
Both answers you've been given so far are technically both correct.
Keep testing your water