Protein Skimmer help

S

shmaz

I currently have a 75 gal reef set up with sump. I'm running a coralife 220 protein skimmer and looking to up grade as I'm not very happy with it. So I'm looking fro ideas. I have a friend looking to sell off his stuff and he has a Marinelan Pro 100 with this be any better

ironeagle2006

What are the issuses you are having with the 220 set it for dry skimming and also read up on other threads on this skimmer. Also with a reef bigger would be better on Skimmers.

flower

No offers of what else to get...LOL ...I hate my coralife skimmer...I don't have the funds to just up and purchase another skimmer. Mico bubbles up the you know what, and it has now overflowed twice.

It overflowed because I tried to rig it so the micro bubbles would stop...if I stop the bubbles, I create an overflow. It took it a week to start acting stupid and overflow, I don't remember who I told to do what I did to get rid of the bubbles. I hope the skimmer that poor soul has, didn't overflow like mine did.
So I am tagging along to see what type to waste my money on next...I have had nothing but grief with skimmers. This Coralife is skimmer #3, I just bought the thing 3-4 months ago.
#1 was a CPR back pac
#2 ws a Cyclone, or something like that
So don't get those.

S

shmaz

I have a hard time geting a dry skim now a days. For about the 1st year i was fine and now for about the past 6 months its a constant wet skim and get adjust it to find a dry skim anymore

S

shmaz

Originally Posted by johnr2604
http:///forum/post/3149060
I love the reef octopus skimmers myself. I have a superskimmer downstairs that is collecting dust LOL.
What is wrong with the super skimmer?

sminker

Originally Posted by shmaz
http:///forum/post/3149168
I have a hard time geting a dry skim now a days. For about the 1st year i was fine and now for about the past 6 months its a constant wet skim and get adjust it to find a dry skim anymore
wet skimming is better. it gets out alot more crap (literally)

jbirdsnest

Order some uniseals and drill some holes. It can turn your skimmer into a new animal. I hacked at my CSS65 and made it into an overflow fed, recirculating, mesh modded, intake bored not half bad piece of junk. Maybe spent $20 on the transformation. The mods solved all of the issues with over flowing because the water level in the sump stays constant. Micro bubbles get sucked back into the pump before they can get to the output at the bottom. You can slow down the turnover through it because it is not dependent on the pumps GPH. This is just something to consider because I dealt with the CSS65 as a hang on back for over a year and wanted the throw it out the window everytime it put a few gallons of water on my carpet.

S

shmaz

Originally Posted by jbirdsnest
http:///forum/post/3149435
Order some uniseals and drill some holes. It can turn your skimmer into a new animal. I hacked at my CSS65 and made it into an overflow fed, recirculating, mesh modded, intake bored not half bad piece of junk. Maybe spent $20 on the transformation. The mods solved all of the issues with over flowing because the water level in the sump stays constant. Micro bubbles get sucked back into the pump before they can get to the output at the bottom. You can slow down the turnover through it because it is not dependent on the pumps GPH. This is just something to consider because I dealt with the CSS65 as a hang on back for over a year and wanted the throw it out the window everytime it put a few gallons of water on my carpet.

That is pretty cool and looks like it'sdoing some good sucking. Mine doesn't work anything like that. Not sure I'm hany enough to try it. Although it doe look sweet