Protein Skimmer Help.

2quills

8-9" is optimal according to what i seen one of thier representatives say over on another site.

king_neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/389323/protein-skimmer-help#post_3440429
Looks good but I can't find how many inches in water it has to sit...
The SWC or the Reef Octopus?
I have my SWC in about 6". I can measure to be exact if anyone really wants to know. I think I had it in 10 because that's what the distributor told me. But after playing around for 6 months I found that 6" is the sweet spot for me. The nasty starts building on the walls of the neck at this height. Any higher and it wads up the main chamber and doesn't fill the cup as nice. Any deeper and the cup only fills with beer color and that's every couple days.
Also you cant really know what your depth will be till after a few weeks anyways. Once its "Broken in" then you can start adjusting.
One nice thing about the SWC skimmers is they sell mods for about $30 if memory serves me right. It increases the potency of the impeller or something. I cant remember now what it did. But users claim that the pumps go from descent to amazing!
Like I said, I found the pumps ok, but not the end all be all that I was lead to believe. I dont want to downplay it to the point where you think they are crap....far from it. By far in fact the best skimmer I have ever used. Its just I feel the stock Sicce pump should have been an "A" instead of a "B+" considering the price and reputation they had.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Neptune http:///t/389323/protein-skimmer-help/20#post_3440543
The SWC or the Reef Octopus?
I have my SWC in about 6". I can measure to be exact if anyone really wants to know. I think I had it in 10 because that's what the distributor told me. But after playing around for 6 months I found that 6" is the sweet spot for me. The nasty starts building on the walls of the neck at this height. Any higher and it wads up the main chamber and doesn't fill the cup as nice. Any deeper and the cup only fills with beer color and that's every couple days.
Also you cant really know what your depth will be till after a few weeks anyways. Once its "Broken in" then you can start adjusting.
One nice thing about the SWC skimmers is they sell mods for about $30 if memory serves me right. It increases the potency of the impeller or something. I cant remember now what it did. But users claim that the pumps go from descent to amazing!
Like I said, I found the pumps ok, but not the end all be all that I was lead to believe. I dont want to downplay it to the point where you think they are crap....far from it. By far in fact the best skimmer I have ever used. Its just I feel the stock Sicce pump should have been an "A" instead of a "B+" considering the price and reputation they had.
Sounds good. I will probably go with the SWC.

chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389323/protein-skimmer-help#post_3440185
Never seen someone so proud of a SeaClone skimmer before...
I am very proud of my SeaClone skimmer now that it is sitting in the bucket of extra parts. I have found the best way to use this thing. You can use it as a hang on back skimmer, in the sump skimmer, or unplugged sitting in the extra parts bin. The best way to use it so far has been sitting in the extra parts bin. This method will save hours of time allowing you to do other projects since you won't have to constantly try to adjust this thing to half way work.