Protein Skimmer is TOO good!

pootytang

Heyoh - I have a W/D on my aggressive tank that has a built-in protein skimmer. It's working TOO good tho, bubbles are just flowing way too quickly, taking out about 2 gallons of water every few hours or so. Getting my water changes done every 2 days this way :p
How can I slow the flow of the bubbles so they age more and bring more of the gunk I'm used to seeing in freestanding skimmers, or should I just scrap the thing and get a new one?

dseiler

How long have you had it on there? There is a "Break in" period for the skimmers when they pull out too much water, then they slow down and the bubbles are dryer. Also if you are running any kind of slime coat that will cause more bubbles.
I would let it run for a little bit, and the skimmer will start pulling some really nasty smelling stuff out.
HTH

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is there some sort of water flow adjustment value for this skimmer?

jimi

What kind of skimmer is it? As Beth asked is there a water flow control valve? There should be between the pump and the skimmer. Leave the air wide open and turn down the water flow.

Pootytang, if you take the advice of the others let us know results as the new sump that I purchased for the new tank also has a built in skimmer, ours does have an adjustable flow rate, I dont know if yours does but let me know as the new tank will be set up as soon as it comes in and I would like any info on these built in skimmers....cya :)

rabid frog

once again I have a late question on something I bought from my lfs, I guess I have sucker written on my head. I bought the hated sea clone protein skimmer, I didnt know it was so hated until I found this site, why is it so hated?? Another waste of space or what?? Im new at this so please take it easy on me.

dseiler

I know a lot of people on this site bash it, but I LOVE my Seaclone. Some on this board say it is too hard to adjust, but all the others seem to have the same issues, and once adjusted I leave mine alone except to empty the cup of nasty smelling green stuff. :)

bad_ass_trigger

i have a sea clone and it worked great for a couple of months now all of a sudden it doesn't seem to be ajusted right. any suggestions?

T

thespook

If you have a SeaClone and it has stooped working so well clean the prefilter sponge. Then it will work well again.

marcial

Hi,
On the seaclone skimmer, how do you know what is the right setting? If I have too much air going through, my tank fills up with tiny bubbles. If I turn it down it doesn't foam up. Should it always foam (bubble) up or will it only do it when there is trash in the tank? Thanks for the help....
marcial

bad_ass_trigger

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY PREFILTER SPONGE? I CLEANED THE ENTIRE SKIMMER WELL AND SET IT UP AGAIN AND IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING SOMEWHAT. BUT SOME AIR BUBBLES ARE GOING INTO THE TANK. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

rabid frog

maricel,
you should have the air set to when you take your cup off the skimmer it should look like it is fizzing inside the skimmer. That is how mine is set up, it doesnt always foam brown, sometimes it is just white bubbles.Just adjust the air till the cylender has a bunch of fine bubbles and a little clone at the bottom of the cylender. That is the best advice I can give you but im sure someone on here can help you more