Protein skimmer leaking?

jmann020

I've just noticed my protein skimmer was leaking? I saw salt being developed on it, I saw a streak of water/salt on my wall and was going down to the floor. The carpet is a little wet. Any idea what's causing this to happen? It just started a few days ago. Please check out pictures

Attachments

lmforbis

I take it this is a hang on skimmer. Italy not actually be leaking just salt spray from the tank. I got that all the time on my reef octopus hob skimmer. You can clean it up and fill with fresh water and see if anything seeps out.

jmann020

I take it this is a hang on skimmer. Italy not actually be leaking just salt spray from the tank. I got that all the time on my reef octopus hob skimmer. You can clean it up and fill with fresh water and see if anything seeps out.

Well after further investigation I found two cracks where it hangs. Water was coming out (dripping ) rather quickly. Any idea on how to fix or should I buy a new one and if so any recommendations for 60g tank

Attachments

jmann020

Also how long is the tank okay for without a protein skimmer?

jmann020

Could I just run two filter untill I order another one? Or find the one I want?

I did buy the instant ocean sea clone 100 protein skimmer from ***** but I want the same one I previously had eshopps se 200

Any reviews or the sea clone? Any good?

jmann020

what can i use to fix the cracks? my home depot doesn't sell weldon 4 or 16, are there any alternatives to this product?

jmann020

UPDATE!!!

so this is the plan, please tell me if A. it will hold and B. it be aquarium safe.

So my protein skimmer has a crack where it holds on the back of the tank.

i bought these items:

my plan:
1. put on the plastic bonder, on the inside of the skimmer, where the crack is more relevant.
2. put a strip of gorilla glue (on inside)
3. clean silicone sealant (on inside)
4. put the jb weld water weld on the outside of skimmer where the cracks are
5. let sit for 24 hours

what do you guys think?

Attachments

Last edited:

2quills

Worth a shot but I'd let the adhesive and silicone cure for a minimum of 3 days if you can.

Tank should be fine without the skimmer till then.