Protein skimmer, or no?

texanangel

I'm wondering if I need one for my 14gal nano. It's been up and running since March, and I never got one of those mini-skimmers. My large reef tanks have them, of course, but I'm still new to the nano thing. Any recommendations? The tank is doing very well, water is perfect, though it took weeks to get the ph up to 8.1. I have some corals (mushrooms, ricordia, zoas, xenia, leather) and no fish at the moment, or any shrimp. I plan on getting a cleaner shrimp this week. There is no sump or fuge on my nano, and just the upgrade stock lights (though I replaced the stock pump).
But again, to my question, should I or should I not get a protein skimmer for my nano? And if yes, where should I put it?

C

capschamp

If you are going to keep up on your water changes most would probably say you don't have to have one. I personally like the idea of having that extra removal of organics that could cause problems in my tank. If you do get one and have back chambers, I recommend the sapphire skimmer, mine fits and works well in the 24 gallon.

R

rizzamatic

I wanted to ask to see if anyone had tried the Oceanic BioCube skimmer, but I see that you have. Do you like it? And does it fit nicely into one of the back chambers. I have a 14gal.

texanangel

Yeah, I do regular water changes, and I haven't had any problems for months now. But, I think I'll look for one for the 14gal BioCube; it can't hurt.

gharner

im also looking for a skimmer for my 12 gallon aquapod. theres a thread on here somewhere that tells you how you can make a skimmer with some thing that you may have at home......

bencc

Is the oceanic skimmer that everyone on here is talking about the one that uses the wooden air stone.

er..md

I have a fission nano skimmer in each of my aquapods and it does work, however it has some drawbacks.... it fills the tank with microbubbles so I just run it at night on the same timer as the leds...Also fit is very tight and the suction cups dont work so well. It has a port on the side which I attached some tubing to and use a syringe to suck out the goop...this is easier than removing the cup and fighting the cramped space...afterwards I just put the cap that was on the port and let the tubing hang in the compartment