Protein Skimmer Problem

austin9392

I am relatively new to salt water tanks and have had my first tank running for about 5 months now. I just added my first fish about two months ago, along with my protein skimmer. Now I have 5 fish (each 3-6 inches). Last week I cleaned out the top part of my protein skimmer (the part where all the nasty brown stuff collects). When I put the top back on the skimmer, the water/foam would no longer go up in it. So my skimmer is still making tons of foam, but it is not reaching the top part of the skimmer where it should collect all the waste. I tried fiddling with the air vent on the hose (the little thing you have to turn to cause the foam to form), but that didn't help. Any other solutions anyone may have for me??
Thanks,
Austin

F

flukes

Sounds like my sea clone, if I wash out the collection cup it will take it a few days before the foam will reach the top of it again. I believe that it needs to have that slime coat on the sides to help it work properly.

conejo

Yeap! My Seaclone Does Exactly The Same But This One Doesnt Want To Collect Anymore, Ive Been Moving The Little Thing Back And Forth And Waited Like 12 Hours Before Each Adjustment And It Feels Like It Doesnt Want To Collect Anything But Make Bubbles In My Tank.does Anyone Know Whats Happening To Our Huricanes? Mines Been Working For Like A Month Now...except For The Last Week!

nordy

I just hung my new Remora unit but my seaclone is still going strong-I clean the foam filter intake when production slows down. Also, watch the feed tube for the big air gap, then close the bleed

[hr]
until the bubble goes away. That's the sweet spot for the Seaclone.

scopus tang

Check the end of the air tube line where it goes into the sponge insert. Often calcium deposites will build up in the air line, preventing the skimmer from working. Disconnect it and clean it out with warm water and the end of a paperclip or small wire. Once you get it unplugged and reassembled, it should go back to working like before.