Protein Skimmer Question

djnsocal

Hello there. I'm not exactly a newbie, but I figure there are lots of people more experienced and learned than me out there. I have a Berlin protein skimmer in the sump of my 135 fish only tank. I'm setting up a 100 reef. Should I consider a different type of skimmer or go with another Berlin (it has been very easy to care for- for me - but perhaps there is something better).
Thanks in advance!
DJ :)

flatzboy

Go with an aquac ev 120 or a euroreef cs6-2. Both are great skimmers. I have an aquac ev 120 on my 46g. reef and it does a heck of a job and I am very happy with it. You can't go wrong with either skimmers and i'm sure everybody will agree on that.

krowleey

Originally posted by chriscobb
I've been looking at alot of skimmers lately and everyone seems to be sold on the Euro's. Personally I'm not. I'm not saying they aren't good, but there are other skimmers out there as well. At times I think things are a little 1 sided in this forum. Have you checked out the MRC skimmers???? Very good skimmers and a decent price.

that's because you don't own one,t here are other skimmers out there but for a 100 gallon tank euro has the best bang for your buck imo

krowleey

Hey Flatzboy, why do you have to run 2 pumps on the bigger models??? Can you use a different bigger pump so you just have to run 1 pump??? For the price of a model for my tank I'm looking at over $700.00 MRC is more reasonable and the skimmers are comparable!!!!!!!! Plus the info I found on the Euro states the pumps are cooled by water. Why would you want that

they external models as well, and no they dont give thier fine product away, you get what you pay for. if you want a cheap knock off more power to ya but i trust the craftmanship from the very trusted euro-reef, mabey you shoul dtry researching Here to get all the information on a certain product. and back to the thread he said this is for a 100 gallon reef, so i think paying 240 bucks for a euro-reef is not bad for what you get at all, and a nice warrenty to boot.

djnsocal

This will teach me to ask a question ;-) Thanks for all the info... I'm checking into all the suggestions. Just wanted to make sure I did it right the first time...
DJ

B

big911dog

i have a euro reef on my ST and an aqua-c remora on my QT. I am very happy with both, but prefer the euro reef.

flatzboy

Bandwagon!!!!!!!!!:D So tell me that the MRC aren't just as good?????

Yeah I forgotto mention the mrc skimmers. Personally I would not spend $400 on a skimmer rated for 110 gallons because that is just insane unless you are a millionaire which I far from that considering I'm only 14yrs old. But the euros are good but IMO you are paying the name and even I believe goldfish or squidd I can't remember which one said that the price as risen a crap load over the past few years and that most likely has to do with them getting more popular. If it were me I would buy a MRC mr1 with the gen-x pump for $285 or an aquac ev 120 for $300.