Protein skimmer recommendation?

Never used one before, wouldn't know what to get..... I can tell you his though...
Have a 46gal bow front..... need a protein skimmer....... I wouldn't know what model to buy if you asked me...... All I can say is, cost IS an issue I cannot drop toin's of $$$ on this....
I found a coult for $30-$40 (internal Oceanic / instant ocean).
Please let me know...
thanks
Brett

browniebuck

search craigslist for a good used one...don't skimp on this piece of equipment...if you buy one, buy a good one. I bought one off of e (sittin by the dock of the) bay (not allowed to say ----...watch, it will get blocked out) and I got the cheapest one rated for my size tank...PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!

browniebuck

are you talking about the one that I bought, or the ones that you can find on craigslist?
I bought an Odyssea skimmer on the auction site and it SUCKS...it nearly impossible to get set correctly, the design is difficult to get set up in the tank as it is a hang on, and it doesn't seem to do a very good job of getting the stuff off of the surface of the water.
If you were talking about getting one off of craigslist, I would take other peoples' suggestions and then type in the brand and size as a search...see what it costs new, and then look on craigslist for that skimmer...more than likely, you will pay around half.

ironeagle2006

I know I am going to get ripped to shreds on this but Coral life 125 would be a decent skimmer for your tank can be HOB or Sump mounted. I have had the Sea Clone Red Sea Super Skimmer and of everything the Coralife 220 I am running right now on my 150 is doing the best.
Should be able to find a new one for around 150 or so.

ended up purchasing : Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Hang-On Skimmer
thanks for your advise.....
Note: I don't use craigslist because it's a risky site to play around with......been down that road before and never want to again.

R

rcreations

If you wanted a hang-on back skimmer, you should have got the AquaC Remora.