protein skimmer ?'s

skeetrix

Hi
I recently bought a 75 gallon tank that will be a fowlr. i have agromax sand and right now a meer 12 pounds of rock (i know what ure thinking, i need more, which i know) i just set up the protein skimmer just as i put in the salt. how long will it take for me to see any type of results with my sea clone 100 protein skimmer. so far there isn't anything in the collection cup and the bubble chamber just has a cyclone in it, any tips or $0.02 tidbits would be appreciated

wayne_etc

Looking forward to the replies. I'm considering a Sea Clone 100 for my 45gal FOWLR (Still in the planning stage). They seem to be a bargain.
w

robchuck

With the tank being so new, there's probably not much for the skimmer to pull out of the water. From the info given in your post, the 12 lbs. of rock is the only source currently in the tank that could yield dissolved organic compounds (DOC's) for the skimmer to remove, but you'll only have DOC's in the water if any organic substance has been added to the tank (die off of live rock critters, uneaten food, fish poop, dead & decaying animals, etc.) Not having a source of DOC's to skim is likely the reason why your skimmer hasn't worked yet.
Another reason the skimmer is not working right now might be that it hasn't broken in yet. Typically, dust, grime, and oils get attached to the skimmer during the manufacturing process. These aren't harmful to your tank at all, but will definately hinder the skimmer's ability to function properly. A good bath of warm water followed by a solid scrubbing effort usually gets a skimmer cleaned up nicely.

zap800

another thing to remember is that i have read alot of bad threads on those skimmers. if the only reason you are getting it is thats its cheap, then wait awhile and save up for a better one. always remember you get what you pay for. so dont be pissed when a cheap skimmer doesnt preform like a 200 dollar one.

wayne_etc

Thanks Belo,
If forced to pick one, I may kindof lean to War Eagle. But not really a football fan. I KNOW, don't send in a lynch mob! I'm a South Alabama and Montevallo grad, so no ties to either school!
Thanks for the welcome
W in Huntsville

nacl-man

I would stay away from the SeaClone if at all possible. I had one for a year and a half, got fed up with it and bought a Euro-Reef. You may be happy with one in the short term (a few months) but IMO you will not be happy with it long term. It just seemed to loose its capability over the months no matter how well I kept it maintained. My Euro-Reef is a tank.
Cheers!

razoreqx

Originally posted by skeetrix
Hi
I recently bought a 75 gallon tank that will be a fowlr. i have agromax sand and right now a meer 12 pounds of rock (i know what ure thinking, i need more, which i know) i just set up the protein skimmer just as i put in the salt. how long will it take for me to see any type of results with my sea clone 100 protein skimmer. so far there isn't anything in the collection cup and the bubble chamber just has a cyclone in it, any tips or $0.02 tidbits would be appreciated

Give it about 2 weeks
I have some mods you can make to that skimmer to increase the output.

wayne_etc

Hey belothsurf,
Anywhere in Birmingham to get live rock at a good price? I'll be in B'ham this weekend and I might go to a couple LFSs to window shop.
You can email me (and avoid hijacking the thread!)
NaH20@internetcetera.com
w

belothsurf

Originally posted by wayne_etc
Hey belothsurf,
Anywhere in Birmingham to get live rock at a good price? I'll be in B'ham this weekend and I might go to a couple LFSs to window shop.
You can email me (and avoid hijacking the thread!)
NaH20@internetcetera.com
w

Weeeeeellllll........:thinking: ....since you "lean" towards Auburn, I'm inclined not to give away such privelidged info. I live 10 minutes from Montevallo, and last time I checked, they don't even have a football team. But you said you went to South Alabama too, right. It has Alabama in the name, so you should be a Bama fan. Makes sense to me.....:thinking: Ahhh weell, ....maybe your balance is off..........:D email sent.........:D