Protein skimmer separator

Hey all,
I was on ---- looking for a protein skimmer for my 30g. I'm new to the idea of getting one but I'm curious on the different types out there. I've seen several of the ones where the water is fed in from a powerhead. But I've also seen a few cheap models where you submerge them almost up to the cup and then water is fed in by pressure. In those type of models, it seems all it does is just remove water, it doesn't add water back into the tank. Is that just not doing the job or are those ok?

fatcat

A skimmer is something you don't want to skimp on.
Look at the AquaC Remora or Tunze 9002 skimmers.

keebler

I have a 30 gallon tank too, I went with the octopus hob bh 100. It costs about a hundred bucks, but it skims like a champ, at least compared to the other two types I've had. It is described as a bakpak on steroids. If you go with euroreef or octopus, you can't go wrong.

Yeah. I think I'm going to do the unpopular thing...build one out of PVC. I spent all day looking for a good diagram that included a powerhead and an air pump and found one. Shouldn't cost more than...$30 to $40 to build.
By the way, if I could just plop down $100 for one, I'd probably do it, but in this economy, I have to do whatever I can to keep my cost down.