Protein Skimmer took a crap

ghostiroc

I wanted to get the red sea prizm protein skimmer it skims 300 gph and i have a 125 and was wondering if it was a good brand or is there another brand in that would be better to go with??? Need to order tonight so....

matt819

The red sea aren't too god of protein skimmers really. Protein skimmers are an area where you do not wanna skimp. It depends how much you wanna spend really...but the coralife super skimmers are a pretty good bang for the buck....if you look at the really expensive skimmers like ASMs or the euro style...the coralife does compare, for a much friendlier price. You should really have quite a large size skimmer for a 125, there is a super skimmer for you though, for sure...check em out. Good quality.

ghostiroc

it seems like, by looking at the picture that the same thing that happened to my seaclone could happen to this one, with the salt creep getting into the line. What does everyone think of the aqua c remora. I know its a lot of money but if i would have spent this money originally.... i dont mind spending the money if the fish will thrive. I think my seaclone crapping out is what is making my water quality so poor.

travis89

The aqua c remora is good, but I don't know if it's good for that sized tank, usually you want a skimmer rated for at least twice the number of gallons you have so you want one rated for at least 250 galloons. I would probably get a coralife or ASM.

ghostiroc

whats ASM? Keep in mind that i need a hang on skimmer, i dont have a sump. I saw someone who recommended the coralife, but it sorta looks like the same design as a seaclone, which i have now, and have had nothing but problems with. The tube gets salt creep in it and clogs up has to be taken apart and cleaned and once you take it apart it never works as good as it did out of the box.

merredeth

Originally Posted by ghostiroc
whats ASM? Keep in mind that i need a hang on skimmer, i dont have a sump. I saw someone who recommended the coralife, but it sorta looks like the same design as a seaclone, which i have now, and have had nothing but problems with. The tube gets salt creep in it and clogs up has to be taken apart and cleaned and once you take it apart it never works as good as it did out of the box.
Actually if you are talking about the saltcreep problem that gets in the airhose I have literally a non existent problem.
All I do is if it gets filled on occasion is take it off and blow some water through it and perhaps rub it with a toothpick where the saltcreep is.
If does help if you make sure that the air intake hose is well above the water line. I also replaced the valve with a better one and don't seem to have problems.
I think the valve costs about a buck.
Denise M.

isistius

If You Need A Hob Skimmer, You Can Look Into The Turboflotor Made By Aquamedic. I Have One On My 135 And It's Pretty Awesome For The Price. Came With A 500gph Pump For Just Over $200. You Can Find Them On Drsfosterandsmithdotcom Website.

travis89

If you don't have a sump then yes the aqua c remora pro would be ok, I think, not sure if it will be good on that size tank. I have it on my 46 and I dump the cup once a month.

ghostiroc

i ended up getting the coralife... the thing is huge... its pulling out tons of junk though, i bought it at the lfs, i got a free bag of dogfood it it breaks ever its getting replaced free and i got some frozen brine. Of course i had to buy the skimmer. He even offered to fix the old skimmer so i could put it on my qt tank... but HELLO its a seaclone... the things better off in the TRASH