Protein Skimmer under $50

richie1742

ive seen many models of Protein Skimmer under 50$, does anyone know wich is best for a 25 gal tank???? :notsure:

squidd

Nope..a "crappy" skimmer gives you a "false" sence of security while doing practically nothing..
And will delay if not prevent you from purchasing a good quality skimmer that will actually do something for your tank...

richie1742

yeah i now understand, but $100+ is quite a chunk from my wallet...do you think i can build one?if not then what models are good for the price?

A

andretti

This hobby is very expensive and if you're going to keep a reef, most nice corals are about 50 bucks. If you go with a cheesy skimmer and lose two or three corals and a few fish, that $30-$40 you skimped on has now turned into $250-??? over a few months or so in the loss of fish/corals. Remember you get whatcha pay for and there's a reason or reasons that skimmer is only $50. Even for a smaller tank, you shouldn't even consider anything under $120. Just my opinion. And I speak from experience because I too tried to cut corners here and there and there are two things about this hobby that you have to accept or don't bother doing it. First, it's expensive and second it requires a lot of patients.

reefnut

I'd recommend just upping your water changes... what is your current water change schedule??

flux

I have a inexpensive air driven skimmer down in my fuge. I have a 20gal tank and a 10 gal fuge and this small skimmer does the trick. $21 for the skimmer and $12 for the air pump. I wouldn’t get one of these without a fuge or sump. Kind of ugly. wouldn’t want it in display tank.

mudplayerx

If you found a skimmer for under $50, chances are that it is a Visi-Jet skimmer. For the love of God, don't buy it.

flatzboy

Cpr bak-pak are a good choice.. I've seen used ones go for $50-$60 dollars in the classified section and on E bay

sw65galma

Originally Posted by richie1742
25% every 2 weeks
ps. are Seaclone 100 Skimmer with Pump any good?
You could probably find a used Red sea prizm skimmer for that much...new they are about $100, they've worked fin for me and should be more than good for your size tank.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by richie1742
that stupid prizm im payin 100$ for a plastic triangle :mad:
You can find them used for $50
All skimmer are basic in design...you can make one yourself...

rainbow aq

Dont buy a seaclone do yourself a favor......I run a prizm and i love it works great pulls out alot of protein...if you do wind up buying a $50 skimmer you will have to up your water changes to 25% like every week..IMO VISI JETS ARE THE BEST LMFAO JK