Protein Skimmer vs filters.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by newtankman
Does mechanical filtration i.e. canisters and pads filters remove the same waste as the protein skimmers?
No, a protein skimmer will filter out the fine "crud". So light that it bubbles out and is collected. Protein skimmers also oxygenate the water. If I had to pick between filter and skimmer and had LR, I would go with the skimmer.
Mc

swaziland

Sometimes my skimmer does not produce suds but I still get a dirty cup so it seems like its working is this ok?

grumpygils

Originally Posted by swaziland
Sometimes my skimmer does not produce suds but I still get a dirty cup so it seems like its working is this ok?
As long as it is pulling out crud, it is working. Try to keep it (pump and tubes) clean to keep the efficiency up. I just cleaned one of mine out and it starting generating a lot more waste.
Mc

karenm

I have a 40gal with an Emperor filter. I just added a skimmer. There's dirty water in the tank, the color of weak tea. I have 40lbs of LR. The tank is about a month old, with 6 snails, 5 hermit crabs, 2 shrimp, a blenny and a wrasse. Do I need both the filter and the skimmer? Am I accomplishing anything running both?

gr33nday43

Karen, imo, you should be running the emperor filter AND the skimmer. The protein skimmer removes fine crud as someone else had said before, while the emperor traps larger particles that can't bubble up the protein skimmer.

dawman

I agree , skimmers take out what any filter cant/doesn`t . When I first bought a skimmer years ago I was amazed how much a skimmer pulls out of the water . In my book it is something that is needed in any aquarium .

spmgbreaker

I have a typhoon hang on skimmer on my 30 gal. tank. The skimmer works great, but the only problem is that some bubbles gets blown out into the tank. Im not sure if this is a good thing. All I know is that it does not make my tank as clear as it should. Ive tried just about everything to prevent this from happening. I know that some bubbles in the tank is normal, but mine is alot more than what should be. Im at a point where im thinking about replacing it. Can anyone give any thoughts as what to do to solve this problem. Thanks